How to Make a Contemporary Glass Mosaic Mirror
Embellish a plain mirror with this design to create a contemporary glass mosaic.
Materials and Tools:
assorted opaque stained-glass pieces, fused-glass pieces, glass nuggets, glass jewels, vitreous glass tile and smalti (or any combination of these)
1/8" window glass (or float glass) and 1/8" mirror to fit your piece OR 1/8" window glass (or float glass)
1/4" beveled mirror OR 1/4" mirror (no bevel)
3/4" birch hardwood plywood
100-percent latex acrylic house paint and paintbrushes
white craft glue
ceramic-tile adhesive or like-quality adhesive
glass-cutting tools, nippers and pliers
Mosaic Mountsilver-backed copper foil (optional)
disposable gloves and mask plastic mixing container
Acrylic Mortar Admix
non-ammonia glass cleaner
- Prime the wood base back. Let dry.
- Apply glue wash (mixture of about five parts water to one part white glue) to top and sides. Let dry for 10 minutes.
- Cut mirror into two or three pieces.
- Apply mirror edge sealant.
- Glue mirror to wood with Mirror Mastic.
- Assemble pieces for the design, starting with the fused glass. Select colors.
- Cut pieces to desired sizes.
- Stack them and tack glue together.
- Place in kiln and fuse.
- Gather other pieces for design into workspace.
- Lay down glass tile and then glue to wood.
- Glue other pieces around glass tile. Once all pieces are glued, let dry.
- Put on the safety apparel.
- Mix grout with Acrylic Mortar Admix in plastic container and let set 10 minutes.
- Grout the piece by hand. Let set for 25 minutes, then wipe off grout with damp sponge.
- Clean and polish the piece.
Robin Evans, Sedona, Ariz.
Step-by-step instructions for making these colorful accents.
Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
Build a Brass and Aluminum Wall Hanging
Assemble and display this geometric-shaped metal wall hanging using basic metalworking techniques.
How to Make a Silk-Screened Pillowcase
Learn how to put your own designer touch on a pillow.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
Laminated Wood Pen
Aaron Lau handcrafts a beautiful laminated wood pen with crushed turquoise.
How to Make a Metal Fish Sculpture
Cut, weld and spray paint metal to create this whimsical fish sculpture.
Stained and Fused Glass Panel
Use these step-by-step instructions to create a stained and fused glass panel.
How to Make a Stained Glass Kaleidoscope
Use mirrors, glass and faceted beads to create a stunning kaleidoscope.
How to Make a Turned Wood Bowl
Use a lathe to turn out a one-of-a-kind decorative bowl.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.