How to Make a Colorful Light Switch Plate
Make a colorful, intricately detailed light switch plate from extruded polymer clay canes with these simple steps.
Materials and Tools:
2 ounces of polymer clay in each color: lime green, white, chartreuse, alizarin crimson
metal light-switch plate
polymer clay extruder
clay cutting blade
1. Condition the clay and roll each color into snakes the size of your index finger. Slice each snake into random-sized slices, and randomly layer slices of different colors to create a cylinder. Roll the cylinder so that it will fit into the barrel of a clay gun.
2. Extrude the clay with a square die. Cut extruded clay into 16 equal lengths and stack them four across and four down, making a square cane approximately 1 inch across. Use a brayer to compress the elements and slightly reduce the size of the cane. Cut the cane into slices.
3. Prepare a sheet of white clay rolled to the No. 5 setting on the pasta maker and ½-inch larger on each side of the switch plate. Carefully cover the sheet of clay with thin slices of the extruded cane. Smooth the cane slices with parchment paper and a spoon. Run the clay through the pasta maker on the No. 3 setting in one direction, and then run it through on the No. 4 setting in the other direction.
4. Apply the decorated sheet of clay to the switch plate, making sure not to trap bubbles between the plate and the clay. Gently wrap the clay around to the back of the plate and trim the excess, leaving about ¼-inch wrapped around the back. Working from the back, locate screw holes by poking a needle tool through them. Then, working from the front, use a pencil to clear the clay from the screw holes.
5. Working from the back, use a needle tool to cut around the rectangular switch hole. Turn over and work from the front to remove the excess clay from the rectangular hole. Bake at 270 degrees for 30 minutes.
How to Carve a Light Switch Plate
Carve a unique design in linoleum, imprint it in clay and add an iron oxide finish to create a one-of-a-kind light switch plate.
How-to: Pendant Light Wallpaper Shade
Follow the directions below to complete this DIY wallpaper craft from HGTV Magazine.
How to Make an Enameled Switch Plate
Use copper wire, enamel and etching techniques to create a stylish touch for any room.
How To Embellish Party Lights With Colorful Streamers
Take your basic patio lights up a notch with sheer ribbon embellishments. These pretty colors will blow in the summer breeze, making those nighttime BBQs much more festive.
How to Make Patio Lantern Lights
Use die-cut boxes and vellum paper to create unique hanging lantern lights.
How to Make a Collapsible Paper Lantern
Start from scratch with this paper lantern by making the paper first, then assembling the tea light lighted structure.
How to Build a Mosaic Light Box
Construct a wood box and cut mosaic pieces to create this Cow Jumping Over the Moon light.
Light Fixtures 101
Nothing affects both the mood and the function of a room quite like lighting does, so consider these 6 tips when deciding what fixtures to buy.
How to Make a Stainless Steel Surfer Light Fixture
Create a surfer-style light fixture from stainless steel and glass with these steps.
How to Make a Bohemian-Inspired Chandelier
Everyday craft supplies are transformed into a boho-chic chandelier to accent your favorite room.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.