How to Make a Cloisonné Painted Egg
Paint flowers on this delightful forgot-me-not cloisonné egg
When Paula Hare's not working as a creative director for a hip design firm, she likes to paint forget-me-not cloisonné egg in her home studio.
Materials and Tools:
4" goose egg
egg holding device (metal skewer)
thermal hardening enamel paints
tube of gold thermal hardening enamel paint
fine metal tip
high-speed drill that runs off an air compressor
pysanky egg dye mixed in a container
1. Draw a design freehand on the goose egg with a pencil. The drawing featured is forget-me-not flowers and leaves.
2. Outline the drawing with gold dimensional thermal hardening enamel paint. Affix a fine metal tip to the tube of paint for application.
3. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the egg so that a skewer can be inserted to hold the egg while painting.
4. Fill in the gold outline with color, two colors of green for the leaves and two colors of blue for the flowers. Let dry for 24 hours.
5. Fire the egg in the oven at 160-250 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour to harden the enamel. The oven temperature and length of firing time will depend on the size of the egg.
6. Cut out the negative space using a high-speed drill similar to dental drill.
7. Mix the pysanky dye according to manufacturer's directions. Dip the egg into the dye bath. The dye resists the color and dyes the inside. Rinse in a container of water.
8. Dry with a cloth towel. Touch up the paint as needed.
9. Polish your forget-me-not cloisonné painted egg with spray furniture wax.
Fabric-Pattern Painted Pumpkin
Instead of carving a pumpkin this year, leave it whole and embellish it with one of your favorite fabric patterns damask, trellis or chevron are all great options.
How to Make a Square Corn Husk Wreath
Put a contemporary twist on traditional fall decorating; easily create a square corn husk wreath for your front door.
How to Make Airbrushed Glass Ornaments
Decorate your Christmas tree with airbrushed glass ornaments. Follow these instructions by Judy Schieck.
A Glass Ornament Tree That Sparkles
Combine greens, berries, glass ornaments and glitter to form a festive glass tree.
How to Make Folded Paper Rosettes
Use this basic technique to turn scrapbooking paper, wallpaper or colored cardstock into a festive decoration.
How to Make a Holiday Star Sun Catcher
Jennifer Ormiston shares her glass-etching process for her star sun catcher.
Holiday Accents Made From Household Items
Unique ideas for decorating for the holidays by repurposing materials you already have around the home.
How to Paint a Bear Stocking
Dress up your holiday stocking with a teddy bear.
Follow these steps to decorate your yard for Halloween.
Christmas Ornament Chandelier
Create a ribbon chandelier to display your Christmas ornaments.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.