How to Make a Clay Leaf Tray
Turn a leaf into your own work of art by crafting it into a tray.
Materials and Tools:
knife or credit card
1. Roll out a slab of clay to the desired thickness. Wedge and shape the clay to the general size of a leaf.
2. Place the leaf on the slab and press down to make the leaf impression in the clay. Cut away excess clay around the leaf shape with a knife or the corner of a credit card.
3. Using the tip of a paintbrush or other small tool, extend the lines of the leaf veins.
4. Mold to the desired smoothness.
5. Fire in a kiln. Allow to cool.
6. Paint glaze colors on the edges and the inside of the leaf tray.
7. Place glass globs around the inside of the tray.
8. Place the tray in the in kiln for a final firing.
How to Make a Clay Turtle Pencil Topper
Bring back grade school memories with this fun clay turtle pencil topper.
How to Make a Polychrome Clay Bowl
Use painter's tape and glazes of various colors to create a design for a decorative sculpted bowl.
How to Make a Clay Portrait Sculpture
Skip the kiln with this creative take on figurative sculpting.
How to Make Clay Trays
Make these easy trays to help organize jewelry and other household items.
How to Make a Metallic Leaf Journal
Transform a simple notebook into an elegant journal with polymer clay and mica powders.
How to Make Flower Cupcake Soap
Make cupcake soap that looks realistic enough to eat.
How to Make a Raku Pot With a Pine Needle Rim
Create a distinctive piece by combining the raku process with woven raffia.
How to Craft a Vinyl Floral Clipboard
Make a colorful, customized clipboard using sticky vinyl.
How to Carve a Porcelain Bowl
Use grid lines to make this intricate, elegant porcelain bowl inspired by nature.
How to Make a Miniature Beeswax Collage
Create a beeswax collage with paint, decorative papers and crayons.