How to Make a Clay Leaf Tray
Turn a leaf into your own work of art by crafting it into a tray.
Materials and Tools:
knife or credit card
1. Roll out a slab of clay to the desired thickness. Wedge and shape the clay to the general size of a leaf.
2. Place the leaf on the slab and press down to make the leaf impression in the clay. Cut away excess clay around the leaf shape with a knife or the corner of a credit card.
3. Using the tip of a paintbrush or other small tool, extend the lines of the leaf veins.
4. Mold to the desired smoothness.
5. Fire in a kiln. Allow to cool.
6. Paint glaze colors on the edges and the inside of the leaf tray.
7. Place glass globs around the inside of the tray.
8. Place the tray in the in kiln for a final firing.
How to Make a Polychrome Clay Bowl
Use painter's tape and glazes of various colors to create a design for a decorative sculpted bowl.
How to Make a Clay Turtle Pencil Topper
Bring back grade school memories with this fun clay turtle pencil topper.
How to Make a Clay Portrait Sculpture
Skip the kiln with this creative take on figurative sculpting.
How to Make a Metallic Leaf Journal
Transform a simple notebook into an elegant journal with polymer clay and mica powders.
How to Make Flower Cupcake Soap
Make cupcake soap that looks realistic enough to eat.
How to Make a Raku Pot With a Pine Needle Rim
Create a distinctive piece by combining the raku process with woven raffia.
How to Make Clay Trays
Make these easy trays to help organize jewelry and other household items.
How to Craft a Vinyl Floral Clipboard
Make a colorful, customized clipboard using sticky vinyl.
How to Carve a Porcelain Bowl
Use grid lines to make this intricate, elegant porcelain bowl inspired by nature.
How to Make Easy Paper Sunflowers
These natural-looking paper flowers lend a decorative accent to any casual decor.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada