How to Make a Clay Leaf Tray
Turn a leaf into your own work of art by crafting it into a tray.
Materials and Tools:
knife or credit card
1. Roll out a slab of clay to the desired thickness. Wedge and shape the clay to the general size of a leaf.
2. Place the leaf on the slab and press down to make the leaf impression in the clay. Cut away excess clay around the leaf shape with a knife or the corner of a credit card.
3. Using the tip of a paintbrush or other small tool, extend the lines of the leaf veins.
4. Mold to the desired smoothness.
5. Fire in a kiln. Allow to cool.
6. Paint glaze colors on the edges and the inside of the leaf tray.
7. Place glass globs around the inside of the tray.
8. Place the tray in the in kiln for a final firing.
House Trinket Box
Peggy Johnston makes a trinket box from polyester sheeting in the shape of a house.
Design a Hand-painted Collaged Briefcase
Kay Hilde shows how to collage colorful swirls and other shapes onto a hand-painted briefcase.
How to Make a Sparkly Cell Phone Cover
Add sparkling, trendy style to your cell phone by covering it with crystals.
Make a Faux-Fur Throw
You don't need real fur to create the picture of elegance.
Hand-Painted Christmas Ornaments
It's easy to create personalized holiday ornaments with a bit of paint and imagination.
Funky Lazy Susan
Put your own creative spin on this kitchen convenience.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
How to Make a Flower-Shaped Teaspoon Rest
Display a teaspoon on a flower-shaped clay rest.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.