How to Make a Chain Link Silver Necklace
Make a bold — and one-of-a-kind — statement with this sterling silver chain link necklace project.
Materials and Tools:
11 stones 16mm x 3-1/2mm
12-gauge sterling wire
24-gauge sterling sheet
3/16" fine silver bezel wire
7mm OD 16-gauge jump rings
toggle or clasp
hard, medium, soft solder
2 pairs flat-nose pliers
jeweler's saw and blades
220-, 400-, 600-grit sandpaper
- Wrap bezel wire around each stone to fit. Solder seams with hard solder and pickle.
- With rawhide mallet, hammer each bezel around ring mandrel to make perfect circle. Sand top and bottom edges.
- Solder each bezel to 24-gauge sterling sheet with medium solder. Pickle. Trim edges, file and sand.
- Draw desired pattern onto back of each bezel. Drill small hole, thread saw blade through hole and saw out pattern. File.
- Cut jump rings in half to create bales for each component. Solder to each bezel cup in places where each will need to be attached to a ring. Pickle.
- Anneal and coil 12-gauge sterling wire around mandrel, as many times as the number of rings you need. Saw through the coil. With two pairs of pliers, bring ends together. Flush, solder and pickle. Embellish as desired.
- Lay out all components as you would like them to look. Begin attaching with pliers and jump rings. When finished, solder all jump rings and pickle.
- Place stones in bezel cups and set. First push edges in with bezel pusher and then with burnisher.
- Do any other sanding necessary. Clean and place in hot liver of sulfur bath until black.
- Polish with Tripoli and then rouge.
Jodi Rae Brownstein, Chicago
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
How to Make a Stainless Steel Surfer Light Fixture
Create a surfer-style light fixture from stainless steel and glass with these steps.
How to Build a Fabric Hanger
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple rack for quilts and linens
Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
Handmade Mosaic Tile Backsplash
Design a colorful mosaic tile backsplash to add a bit of flair to your kitchen.
Build a Brass and Aluminum Wall Hanging
Assemble and display this geometric-shaped metal wall hanging using basic metalworking techniques.
Step-by-step instructions for making these colorful accents.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.