How to Make a Bobble Head Doll
Use a personal photo to custom-make a bobble head doll.
When making a bobble head doll, it helps to study photos of your subject and identify his or her most defining features before you take clay in hand.
Materials and Tools:
white polymer clay
photos of person to be sculpted
1. Study the selected pictures and determine the features that depict his or her character.
2. With wire cutters, cut a piece of 20-gauge wire for the feet, legs and hips. Bend the wire into a "U" shape with pliers.
3. Wrap the lower body wire with aluminum foil. Wrap the foil at the bottom of the legs with 24-gauge wire.
5. Drill two small holes into a purchased oval wooden base positioned at the same width as the wires in the feet. Place the foot wires in the holes to hold the figure while sculpting.
6. Cut a piece of 20-gauge wire for the body and push it vertically into the clay portion of the lower body. Cover it with conditioned clay, shaping the torso, neck and shoulders.
7. Sculpt shoes for the figure with two balls of clay. Remove the figure from the wooden base and insert the feet wire through each shoe. Glue the feet into the drilled holes in the wooden base with epoxy glue.
8. Sculpt the clothing details in the clay with a craft knife and a needle tool.
9. Sculpt arms and hands from clay and attach them to the shoulders.
11. Bake the head and body in a 250-degree oven for an hour. Remove from the oven.
12. Paint the body and head with acrylic paints and artist's brushes. Detail such features as eyes, lip color, cheeks, freckles, buttons and shoelaces.
14. Wrap the twisted wire around a pen.
16. Drill the inside of the bobble head to hollow it out enough that the head balances well on the spring.
17. Place the bobble head on top of the spring and glue it with epoxy.