How to Make a Beaded Ceramic Cake Stand
Decorate and embellish a ceramic cake stand to make a one-of-a-kind look.
Materials and Tools:
pre-poured cake plate purchased in greenware
sharp ceramic cleaning tools
Gare Fun Stroke ceramic paint
Gare Bumpy Doodle paint
Gare GG 1700 clear transparent brushing glaze
soft small-gauge wire
assortment of beads
1. Clean the greenware with cleaning tools, and then wet it with a sponge.
2. Place the greenware in a kiln to fire to bisque for six hours. Allow to cool for 24 hours before removing it from the kiln.
3. Prepare a paint station with a pencil, a water jar, paper towels and ceramic paints.
4. Draw a design on the bisque with the pencil.
5. Paint the design with Fun Stroke ceramic paints. Paint on top of the ceramic paint with Bumpy Doodle paint. Allow to dry.
6. Glaze both pieces twice with ceramic glaze.
7. Place in the kiln to fire for four hours ("fast" fire). Leave for 24 hours.
8. Set up a beading station with wire, wire cutters, an assortment of beads and E-6000 glue.
9. Cut a piece of wire about 3½ inches long. Thread a small bead onto the wire. Pull the opposite end of the wire through the bead, pulling both ends together.
10. Thread more beads onto the wire, with both ends being placed through each bead.
11. Leave ½-inch of wire showing and thread through the hole on the cake plate. Start on the outside of the plate and thread to the inside/underside of the plate.
12. Tie off the wire.
13. Continue the threading process around the entire rim of the cake plate.
14. Apply E-6000 glue to the top of the cake pedestal. Place the top of the cake plate on the pedestal and allow to dry.