How to Make a Beaded Ceramic Cake Stand
Decorate and embellish a ceramic cake stand to make a one-of-a-kind look.
Materials and Tools:
pre-poured cake plate purchased in greenware
sharp ceramic cleaning tools
Gare Fun Stroke ceramic paint
Gare Bumpy Doodle paint
Gare GG 1700 clear transparent brushing glaze
soft small-gauge wire
assortment of beads
1. Clean the greenware with cleaning tools, and then wet it with a sponge.
2. Place the greenware in a kiln to fire to bisque for six hours. Allow to cool for 24 hours before removing it from the kiln.
3. Prepare a paint station with a pencil, a water jar, paper towels and ceramic paints.
4. Draw a design on the bisque with the pencil.
5. Paint the design with Fun Stroke ceramic paints. Paint on top of the ceramic paint with Bumpy Doodle paint. Allow to dry.
6. Glaze both pieces twice with ceramic glaze.
7. Place in the kiln to fire for four hours ("fast" fire). Leave for 24 hours.
8. Set up a beading station with wire, wire cutters, an assortment of beads and E-6000 glue.
9. Cut a piece of wire about 3½ inches long. Thread a small bead onto the wire. Pull the opposite end of the wire through the bead, pulling both ends together.
10. Thread more beads onto the wire, with both ends being placed through each bead.
11. Leave ½-inch of wire showing and thread through the hole on the cake plate. Start on the outside of the plate and thread to the inside/underside of the plate.
12. Tie off the wire.
13. Continue the threading process around the entire rim of the cake plate.
14. Apply E-6000 glue to the top of the cake pedestal. Place the top of the cake plate on the pedestal and allow to dry.
How to Make a Glazed Wall Plate
Decorate your walls with plates that shimmer with a crystalline ceramic glazing technique.
How to Make an Ornate Ceramic Platter
Create intricate details with carving tools, dye and your bare hands to make an ornate ceramic platter.
How to Make an Etched Ceramic Vase
Etch a creative design in a ceramic vase to match any style room.
How to Make a Primitive Platter
Meg Spielman Peldo makes a ceramic platter, breaks it, then reassembles it to create this work of art.
How to Make a Purse-Shaped Clay Teapot
Use porcelain clay to sculpt a stylish teapot.
How to Make a Clay Garden Sphere
Create a unique piece of outdoor art with speckled stoneware clay and clay-carving tools
How to Make a Ceramic Cactus Vase
Make a nature-inspired pottery vase using a gelatin mold.
How to Make a Coiled Ceramic Bottle
Create a one-of-a-kind bottle featuring a colorful block pattern.
How to Make a Ceramic Magnet
Carve a stamp in clay and imprint the image onto a magnet for a custom look.
How to Make a Ceramic Teapot
Make a shapely ceramic teapot with these simple steps.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.