How to Engrave a Sterling and Leather Cuff
Make a stylish, modern leather cuff bracelet engraved with the message of your choice.
Materials and Tools:
small faceted stones
anvil or metal block
1. Cut a small strip of leather with the shearer. Trim the edges with scissors. Coat the edges with edge coat and set aside to dry.
2. Draw/trace a shape on the sheet silver with a permanent marker.
3. Cut out the shape with the jeweler's saw. File the edges, and then sand the edges with three different grits of sandpaper.
4. Awl both ends of the piece to guide the drill bit. Then drill both sides.
5. Trace/draw what will be engraved onto the silver - in this case it's the word "human." Then engrave it.
6. Awl holes for stone or stones. Then drill holes for stones.
7. Set silver piece on leather and mark with the awl through the holes in the piece. Use the leather punch to make these holes in the leather.
8. Place the silver back on the leather and set the rivets through both the leather and the silver. Hammer the tops of the rivets carefully.
9. Place the stone in its hole on the silver. Use the graver to chip up four pieces of metal around the stone. Use a beading tool to soften these chips into balls.
10. Measure and punch holes for snaps. Set snaps.
How to Make a Rusted Paper Book Cover
Rust on paper? It's possible with this book cover project by first rusting a piece of steel and then applying paper to the rust.
How to Make a Textured Flower Quilt
Use creative tucks and other techniques to create a textured flower quilt.
How to Make Dichroic Glass and Enamel Earrings
Make a playful yet well-crafted pair of earrings using multi-colored dichroic glass, accent beads and gold-filled wire.
How to Make a Confetti Naturescape Quilt
Turn scrap fabric into an oil painting-style quilt with these steps.
Crayon-Resist Journal Cover
This journal cover is made from fabric textured with crayons and dye.
Fused Glass Flower Magnet
Kate Gadd fuses green, blue and opal-orange glass together to create a flower magnet.
How to Make Mosaic Stained Glass Art
Make an easy stained glass art piece using colored glass, a glass cutter and grout.
How to Make an Aluminum Journal Cover
Make a journal cover with aluminum tape for an elegant look.
How to Make Black Metal Flower Jewelry
Put a modern twist on daisies with this sophisticated black metal jewelry set.
How to Make a Sunflower Wall Hanging
Use wood and stained glass to create a sunflower wall hanging.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.