How to Design a Tin Can Luminary
Turn an ordinary soup can into a flameless tin can luminary using a torch.
Materials and Tools:
ventilated welding mask
crystal with a little wire
1-2 colors of spray paint
clear protectant spray
1. Remove label from soup can. Put on your welding goggles, leather gloves and a ventilated welding mask, and then burn off all the label glue completely by grazing the area with the torch flame.
2. Draw a perpendicular line through the seam of the can with a permanent marker. This will become the window for the crystal to hang.
3. Burn a small hole at the open end of the can where the seam meets the opening. This is what the crystal will hang from.
4. Draw a symmetrical line on both sides of the seam. Cut this design out of the can to create an opening for the crystal to hang in, ensuring it's large enough for your crystal.
5. Turn the can around 180 degrees so that the opening is opposite you. Eyeball the center of the can's side and burn a small hole. From the hole, burn a line from above it to the top rim, bottom rim and side to side.
6. Burn whatever design you choose using these four lines as a guide.
7. Turn the can so that the window faces your right and the cross faces your left. Be creative in designing the remaining areas of the can. Do the exact same thing on both sides to maintain symmetry.
8. Pick out one or two colors of spray paint. Lightly spray the darker color on the inside first, then the outside. Evenness doesn't matter if you're using two colors. Lightly spray the second color wherever you like on the outside of the can.
9. For extra protection, spray a clear spray paint over the color. Wait about 20 minutes for paint to dry.
10. Hang your crystal.
DIY Grain Sack Kitchen Barstool Cushions
Inexpensive canvas drop cloths, acrylic paint and basic sewing skills come together to create fabulous custom cushions for kitchen barstools or chairs.
Laminated Wood Pen
Aaron Lau handcrafts a beautiful laminated wood pen with crushed turquoise.
Stained and Fused Glass Panel
Use these step-by-step instructions to create a stained and fused glass panel.
How to Make a Metal Fish Sculpture
Cut, weld and spray paint metal to create this whimsical fish sculpture.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
How to Make a Recycled Metal Fish Sculpture
Turn an old car hood into a fish sculpture with simple welding techniques.
How to Make a Glazed Wall Plate
Decorate your walls with plates that shimmer with a crystalline ceramic glazing technique.
How to Make a Whimsical Wooden House
Graham Eagle's architectural-style walla hanging has many whimsical features.
How to Make a Fused Glass Sushi Plate
Fire up a blue glass plate perfect for serving sushi or other appetizers using the glass slumping technique.
12 Projects for the Holidays
Learn how to transform your home with fun holiday decorations.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.