How to Design a Lampwork Glass Paperweight
Create a glass paperweight with a floral design inside using these lampwork glassblowing techniques.
Materials and Tools:
20mm clear glass rod
9mm clear glass rod
4mm clear glass rod
stick of red colored rod
2mm blue colored stringer
2mm green colored stringer
1. Break down 9mm rod into 12-inch lengths by scoring and popping. These will be used as handles.
2. Heat red colored rod in the torch's flame lightly and pull a 2mm stringer. Cut the glass. Repeat for the blue and green rods.
3. Flame-cut 20mm clear glass rod to 4-1/2 inch lengths.
4. Gather 20mm rod into a ball, leave about one inch of 20mm rod remaining.
5. Flatten and gather into a disk on the marver plate.
6. Put a dot in the center disk.
7. Draw the first layer of petals around the dot with the green rods.
8. Reduce the disk so that it pulls the petals into the glass. It will form a dome.
9. Flatten the disk to push the pattern into the clear glass.
10. Repeat the reducing step until you see the first layer of glass resembling a small flower.
11. Flatten the disk and draw a second set of petals with the blue rods.
12. Reduce and flatten until the second layer of petals is floating in the glass.
13. Flatten and draw the leaves. Reduce and flatten two more times. Keep reducing and start the rounding process.
14. Round the marble by spinning in the flame using gravity to assist.
15. Finish the rounding process with marble molds.
16. Heat up red color and gather about a dime-sized ball of glass.
17. Push the red ball onto the marble and then down onto the marver plate to flatten and make the base.
18. Cold tack the handle to the bottom of the paperweight base.
19. Take off the top handle and round the top in the marble mold.
20. Tap off the handle and flame polish the area.
21. Using tongs, put the miniature paperweight into the kiln and anneal.
How to Make a Glass Turtle Paperweight
Use glass lampworking tools and techniques to create this small decorative glass turtle.
How to Make a Stained Glass Kaleidoscope
Use mirrors, glass and faceted beads to create a stunning kaleidoscope.
How to Make a Lampwork Glass Bead Necklace
Create your own unique lampwork glass beads for a colorful, leaf-inspired necklace.
How to Paint a Stained-Glass Window
A family portrait is turned into a unique stained-glass-style window.
How to Make a Maui Koi Glass Mural
Fuse glass pieces and powdered glass together to create this colorful Maui koi mural.
How to Make Stained Glass Art
Create a distinctive stained glass design to dress up any window.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
Stained and Fused Glass Panel
Use these step-by-step instructions to create a stained and fused glass panel.
How to Make a Swirling Stemmed Glass Goblet
Create unique green glassware with curving stems with this glassblowing project.
Snowglobe with Handmade Glass Sculptures
Connie Deady of Santa Monica, Calif., makes glass sculptures to fill a one-of-a-kind snowglobe.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada