How to Design a Copper Heart Pendant
Create an antique-style necklace from copper and wire with these simple instructions.
Materials and Tools:
2" x 2" piece of 22-gauge copper
two 18-gauge copper wires: 6-1/2" and 5"
butane torch or solder iron
lacquer or patina solution (optional)
hydraulic press (optional)
jewelry link chain and beads (optional)
1. Draw freehand or use a template of a heart to cut the heart out of the copper with shears.
2. Sand the edges smooth using abrasive paper and clean the surface with soap and water using wet/dry sandpaper. Dry the copper heart.
3. Anneal the copper by running the torch flame over it until the metal turns bright, cherry red. Submerge in water and dry thoroughly.
4. Make a spiral with the 5-inch copper wire. Place the spiral on the copper heart at the desired location and use the hydraulic press to imprint the heart. An anvil and hammer can also be used if a press is not available.
5. Fold the 6-1/2-inch wire to create the wings. Starting at the center, wrap the wire around the diameter of a pencil and twist to form the jump ring to attach your chain. Allow equal amounts of wire on either side to fold the wings into shape.
6. Apply flux to the clean backside of the heart and solder the wire into place, keeping the jump ring in the center of the piece.
7. Optional: Attach a link chain and embellishments like beads to the tip of the heart.
How to Weave a Decorative Copper Wire Basket
Weave copper wire into a decorative basket embellished with polymer clay beads.
How to Sculpt a Ceramic Pear
This realistic ceramic pear project features rich glaze highlights.
How to Make an Etched Copper Bowl
Etch a eucalyptus-leaf sgraffito design into a copper bowl for a unique piece of pottery.
How to Make Stitch-and-Gather Ribbon Flowers
This U-gather technique allows you to make several different ribbon flowers such as roses, violets, pansies and poppies.
Four Wrapped Paper Projects
In this project, James Bertelson makes delightful wrapped-paper items from Japanese handmade papers, including a wrapped cigar box, accordion book, matchbox and greeting card.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
Ornate Travel Keepsake Box
Carolyn Madvig makes a practical, yet ornate, travel keepsake box.
How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.