How to Design a Copper Heart Pendant
Create an antique-style necklace from copper and wire with these simple instructions.
Materials and Tools:
2" x 2" piece of 22-gauge copper
two 18-gauge copper wires: 6-1/2" and 5"
butane torch or solder iron
lacquer or patina solution (optional)
hydraulic press (optional)
jewelry link chain and beads (optional)
1. Draw freehand or use a template of a heart to cut the heart out of the copper with shears.
2. Sand the edges smooth using abrasive paper and clean the surface with soap and water using wet/dry sandpaper. Dry the copper heart.
3. Anneal the copper by running the torch flame over it until the metal turns bright, cherry red. Submerge in water and dry thoroughly.
4. Make a spiral with the 5-inch copper wire. Place the spiral on the copper heart at the desired location and use the hydraulic press to imprint the heart. An anvil and hammer can also be used if a press is not available.
5. Fold the 6-1/2-inch wire to create the wings. Starting at the center, wrap the wire around the diameter of a pencil and twist to form the jump ring to attach your chain. Allow equal amounts of wire on either side to fold the wings into shape.
6. Apply flux to the clean backside of the heart and solder the wire into place, keeping the jump ring in the center of the piece.
7. Optional: Attach a link chain and embellishments like beads to the tip of the heart.
Etched Copper Pendant
Barbara Louise Bowling demonstrates her etching process on her copper pendant.
How to Make Black Metal Flower Jewelry
Put a modern twist on daisies with this sophisticated black metal jewelry set.
How to Make a Silver and Turquoise Pendant Necklace
Employ metalsmithing and jewelry-making techniques to create this beautiful silver and turquoise necklace.
Steve Jones creates a frog out of scrap copper pieces and copper wire.
How to Make a Silver Heart Ring
Create a delicate sterling silver ring using basic metalwork techniques.
Copper Wire Willow Tree
Matt Sipes wraps four cables of copper wire to form a tree trunk and then twists the wire to form branches for his willow tree.
How to Make a Copper Fireplace Screen
Punch designs into a copper panel and attach a mahogany frame with this project.
How to Make Spiral Copper Magnets
Add a classy touch to your refrigerator door with these whimsical copper magnets.
How to Make a Precious Metal Clay Pendant
Artist Barbara Burzillo shares her process for making her one-of-a-kind precious metal clay silver charm pendant
How to Make a Precious Metal Clay Dragonfly Pendant
Create this shimmering dragonfly pendant using precious metal clay.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada