How to Create Mixed Media Wall Art
Combine painting and etching techniques to create a beautiful piece of art for your home.
This project incorporates paint, charcoal and even salt for a textured, dynamic effect.
Materials and Tools:
1. Sketch a selected picture onto a sheet of foam core with a pencil.
2. Score around the outline of the picture with a craft knife. Cut away sections of the foam core with the knife, exposing the soft foam beneath the smooth paper layers.
3. Rub black charcoal over the etched lines of the wall art. Rub the charcoal in with your fingers.
5. Fill in the areas with a heavy application of charcoal.
7. Sprinkle coarse salt over some sections of the watercolors while wet for a textured appearance.
8. Add details with bright pastels. Complete the background using blocks of watercolor washes and charcoal.
How to Create a Window Frame Photo Collage
Design consultant Abraham Hopkins shows how to turn a reclaimed window frame into a family photo collage.
How To: Framing Mirrors with Crown Molding
A bad, boxy room gets new life with cool new architectural details.
How to Sculpt a 3D Clay Painting
Create a three-dimensional clay art piece featuring a daisy and several sunny, bright glaze colors.
How to Paint and Fuse a Glass Plaque
Use this technique plus your own drawing to create a decorative, hanging fused glass plaque.
Sandwiched Botanical Wall Hanging
Make wonderful wall hangings by pressing dried flowers between glass.
How to Create Fractured, Framed Map Art
Put a modern spin on map art with a multi-frame application.
Empty Picture-Frame Wall Grouping
Who needs art? Make a bold statement with empty, colorful picture frames.
How to Make an Ornate Framed Chalkboard
Elegant meets humble when a sophisticated gilt frame surrounds an inexpensive DIY chalkboard. Place it in the dining room with a thoughtful greeting for holiday guests, or use it to announce the dinner menu or evening's festivities.
How to Hand Paint Silk
Display your artistic ability on silk for an elegant look.
How to Mat and Frame Artwork
Finding artwork you love is a lengthy and expensive process. Make custom art using anything flat, from a vintage album cover to a page from a book or magazine.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.