How to Create Hand-Painted Pillows
Tips for designing your own painted pillows.
Project by Pamela Marwede from Sarasota, Fla.
By the age of 12, Pamela was painting her parents' furniture in a variety of creative ways. Pamela never stopped painting objects and after getting a degree in textile design, she combined that training with her fine arts skills to create bold and captivating art like her hand painted pillows.
Materials and Tools:
acrylic fabric paints
1. Staple a plain white unpainted piece of cotton to a work table and paint it with a base coat of bright colors. Soak fabric with paint using a 2 or 3-inch paintbrush. Dry fabric on table.
2. When dry, start to paint on outline of design with wet paintbrush. Use compass to draw circles, which are part of design. Paint leaves, stripes and background patterns. Let dry.
3. Add more details with brush and then finish it off with outlining applied with a squirt bottle. Outline leaves, circles and the rest of the design. This will create another layer of paint. Let dry.
4. When dry, heat-set fabric in the clothes dryer.
5. Wash fabric with soap in a washing machine ONLY after 3 days of air curing.
6. Hang fabric outside on a line and hose off the soap with a garden hose. Let dry.
7. Cut finished piece of fabric into two pieces to make pillow shape.
8. Pair two pieces together and sew three sides closed.
9. Stuff with fiber filling and sew fourth side closed.
How to Make Whimsical Bookmarks
Use fabric and paint to make whimsical bookmarks.
How to Make Fused Fabric Flowers
Paint a canvas with dyed fabric in a flower design.
How to Paint a Portrait on a Quilt
Learn how to paint a realistic face on an art quilt with inks and applicators.
How to Make a Hand-Painted Glass Candle Bowl
Make a glass candle bowl into a beautiful, stylish centerpiece with these simple steps.
How to Make a Hand-Painted Pillow
Nicci Battilana adds sparkle to her painted pillow with an acrylic jewel and glitter paint.
How to Paint a Glass Fish Bowl
Use stained glass paint to make a fish-themed candleholder.
How to Paint Decorative Tile
Use tile as a canvas for painting any design you desire.
How to Add a Wet Effect to Walls With Glossy Paint
Bring a touch of high style to bedroom walls with a wet effect glossy paint application.
How to Make a Tassel Camera Strap
Personalize your camera with a cotton strap embellished with metallic leather and craft paint.
Add Pizzazz to Plain Hardwood Floors With Paint
Personalize basic hardwood floors with pattern, using proper preparation and simple painting steps.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada