How to Create a Mixed Media Collage
Materials and Tools:
3/4"plywood cut to 12" x 12"
acrylic paint: black, red, burgundy
decorative handmade paper
fabric, scraps of three different patterns
computer text (computer and printer)
gold spray paint
metal trim with adhesive backing
rubber stamps, multi-circle stamp, gothic design stamp, alphabet stamps
stamp ink pad, black, gold, white
photocopy of image
spray sealer (gloss)
four lattice strips, 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 12"
1. Apply paint to the wood board in a random pattern until the board is covered.
2. Apply torn pieces of decorative handmade paper and corrugated cardboard squares in a random pattern to the board using matte medium to affix the pieces in place.
3. Apply gold stamping ink to a gothic rubber stamp and stamp images. Add white paint to a multi-circle stamp and stamp images.
4. Stamp the word Love in white along the top.
5. Position a decorative stencil along the right edge of the board and spray-paint gold. Remove the stencil.
6. Cut two 2-inch squares of three different fabrics (total of six squares) and glue them across the bottom of the piece with matte medium.
7. Glue the photo to the collage and apply oil pastels around edge to blend into the background.
8. Add text from the computer and cover with a mica scrap.
9. Remove the paper backing from a self-adhesive metal trim strip and attach it across the top of the fabric strips.
10. Seal the piece with spray sealer (gloss).
11. Lay the finished piece on a lattice strip and measure the sides for the frame. Mark with pencil for cut lines.
12. Wearing eye protection, cut four lattice strips for the wood frame using a hand saw and sand if necessary with sandpaper.
13. Attach the cut lattice strips to the sides of the piece using nails and a hammer.
14. Paint the wood frame black.
15. You may choose to add a distressed look to the piece by sanding the edges.