How to Carve a Porcelain Bowl
Use grid lines to make this intricate, elegant porcelain bowl inspired by nature.
Materials and Tools:
1. Throw the bowl on a potter's wheel. Smooth the outer sides with a rib.
2. Trim the bottom of the bowl. Allow the pot dry for about two weeks, until it reaches the bone-dry stage.
3. Draw horizontal grid lines on the bowl, using the wheel. Draw vertical grid lines on the bowl, using a string to measure.
4. Lightly mark the design — cascading overlapping flowers — on the grid with a needle-carving tool.
5. Dampen the clay. Carve the design, continually brushing away the dust.
6. Wipe the bowl with a damp sponge to remove the small scratch marks. Wearing safety gear, spray underglaze onto bowl to add color.
7. Bisque-fire the bowl to cone 05, about 1,850 degrees Fahrenheit. Note: The timing will be different for every kiln; a tiny kiln may take up to about six hours to fire, a larger kiln 12 hours.
8.. Heat the bowl in the kiln until it's too hot to touch. This evaporates the water in the glaze, causing the glaze to stick to the pot better and not drip. Then spray glaze on it.
9. Fire to cone 6, about 2,150 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Make a Polychrome Clay Bowl
Use painter's tape and glazes of various colors to create a design for a decorative sculpted bowl.
How to Craft a Vinyl Floral Clipboard
Make a colorful, customized clipboard using sticky vinyl.
How to Make a Clay Leaf Tray
Turn a leaf into your own work of art by crafting it into a tray.
How to Make Flower Cupcake Soap
Make cupcake soap that looks realistic enough to eat.
How to Make a Clay Turtle Pencil Topper
Bring back grade school memories with this fun clay turtle pencil topper.
How to Make a Raku Pot With a Pine Needle Rim
Create a distinctive piece by combining the raku process with woven raffia.
How to Make a Papier Mache Bowl With Leaves
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.
How to Make a Turned Wood Bowl
Use a lathe to turn out a one-of-a-kind decorative bowl.
How to Make Easy Paper Sunflowers
These natural-looking paper flowers lend a decorative accent to any casual decor.
How to Make a Clay Portrait Sculpture
Skip the kiln with this creative take on figurative sculpting.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada