How to Build a Wardrobe Tower
Learn how to construct a simple cabinet that could stand on its own or be part of an entertainment center.
Tools and Materials:
3/4” fir plywood
4 feet of 1x1 poplar for the shelf cleats
closet rod with included hardware
finish nailer and 1-1/4” finish nails
screw gun and 1-1/4” wood screws
1-1/4” pocket screws
sander and sandpaper
stain and polyurethane finish
table saw, a miter saw and a circular saw
5-inch hole-saw bit
level and tape measure
We made two towers, one has shelves inside and other has just a closet rod. We put the two towers in place then added shelves in between. Below are the instructions for building one tower.
1. On a table saw, cut the wardrobe pieces from the 3/4” fir plywood (this is for one tower):
- door piece: one at 25” x 80-3/4”
- sides: two at 20-3/4x” x 81”
- back: one at 23 1/4” x 81”
- top, shelf and bottom: three at 23-1/2” x 20” (add pieces for additional shelves)
2. Build a box with the back, sides, top and bottom pieces. Secure these pieces with wood glue and Brad nails.
3. Place the door piece on a table and mark 12-1/2” in from the sides and 40-1/2” from the bottom. This should be just off center of your door piece. Using a 5-inch hole saw, drill a large hole.
4. Using a circular saw, cut the door lengthwise down the middle, 12-1/2” from each side. This will give you two identical doors with hole-shaped handles.
5. Router all sides of both doors to round-over the edges, then sand smooth.
6. Stain and finish all the pieces, including the shelf. Let dry completely.
7. Cut the cleat to hold up the inner shelf. Cut two pieces at 18-inches and one piece at 22 inches. At the desired height, attach the cleats around the inside of the box with wood glue and wood screws.
8. Place the shelf onto the cleat and secure in place with Brad nails shot through the shelf into the cleat. Turn the wardrobe over and place additional Brad nails through the back in the shelf.
9. Install your closet rod 12 inches from the top of the tower and 10 inches from the back. Use the hardware included with your closet rod.
10. Put the wardrobe tower box in place then shim and level it. Attach the doors using the heavy-duty hinges and the hardware included.
11. We made two towers, one with shelves and one with a closet rod. To make more towers, repeat the above steps.