How to Build a Sofa Table/Bookcase
Step-by-step instructions for crafting this multifunctional unit.
Save money by building a sofa table that doubles as a bookcase with this project.
Materials and Tools:
sliding compound miter saw (or circular saw)
nail gun (or hammer and nails)
4 small “L” brackets
tack cloth (or rags)
stain (or paint)
1. To build the main structure of the cabinet, use a sliding compound miter saw to cut the two sides so that they’re not taller than the sofa, and cut the bottom so that it’s not too long for it (adjust measurements as necessary for your furniture). Once the side and bottom pieces are cut to size, use wood glue and a nail gun to secure them together.
2. Measure the distance between the sides, and cut the center shelf and a 1-by-2 to that length. Secure the center shelf in place and then attach the 1-by-2 across the top of the back for strength.
3. Attach 1-by-4’s to the bottom to trim the base and give it additional height. If desired, add interest to the bottom-front trim piece before installing it by drawing a slight curve along it and cutting it out with a jigsaw. Attach 1-by-2 pieces to cover the front of the center board and the rest of the side boards.
4. Cut the top piece so that it’s 1 inch longer and wider than the front and sides. Secure “L” brackets to the side pieces first, and then attach the top to the structure from below.
5. Sand the entire bookcase and remove the dust. Fill the nail holes, and then stain or paint as desired.
6. Attach a string of rope lights to the 1-by-2’s on the top and center shelves to highlight books and accessories.