How to Build a Dog Crate Cover/Bench Seat
Provide extra seating while concealing your pet's crate.
Hide your dog’s crate with something that makes great use of the space it takes up. This project shows you how.
Materials and Tools:
25x25x¾-inch piece of birch plywood for the back of the bench seat
two 16x13½x¾-inch pieces of birch plywood for the sides of the seat (two with mitered edge)
two 13½x25x¾-inch pieces of birch plywood (one with mitered edges for the top of the seat and one
without for the shelf)
one 26x36x¾-inch piece of medium-density fiberboard (MDF) for the top of the crate cover
two ¾x36x1¾-inch pieces of pine mitered on one side for the cover skirt (width)
one ¾x26x1¾-inch pieces of pine mitered on both edges for cover skirt (length)
two 2x2x24-inch pieces of poplar for cover legs
1. Using a jigsaw, make a 2-by-9½-inch cut out of the bottom of your two side pieces for the bench to create the feet. Make sure the cut is centered.
2. Using a compound miter saw, cut the top of the same pieces at a 45-degree angle.
3. Glue the mitered sides to the mitered top. Make sure they meet at a 90-degree angle. Holding them in place, fasten together with a nail gun.
4. Glue and nail the shelf to the inside of the sides, just above the cutout for the feet.
5. Pick one side to be the back of the bench. Glue and then nail your back to it.
6. Set the bench aside to dry.
7. Turn the top piece of the MDF upside down and line up your three skirt pieces for the crate cover on the edges of the MDF.
8. Making sure the mitered edges match up, glue and then nail these pieces to the MDF and each other.
9. Fasten the legs with nails and glue them to the inside corners where your skirt pieces connect.
10. Let the piece dry.
11. Attach a ¾x23½x3-inch ledger to the back of the bench ¾-inch from the top.
12. Turn the crate cover over and rest the edge with no legs on the ledger. Glue and then nail them together.
13. Stain the piece with green, eco-friendly stain.
14. Glue and then nail pieces of pine molding to the face of the piece.