Holiday Decoration: Elegant Ornament Pomanders
Christmas balls grouped together create a sophisticated focal point that can be displayed either indoors or out.
This project is part of HGTV's eight easy Christmas crafts to create.
Materials and Tools:
Christmas balls (assorted sizes and colors)
large plastic Christmas ball (will serve as the base)
sheer ribbon (if suspending ornament)
laurel leaves on branches (silk or dried)
hot glue gun and glue sticks
spray paint in a color to coordinate with ornaments
large candlestand (if displaying on stand)
antique gold spray paint
ribbon in a complimentary color
1. Spray large plastic Christmas ball with paint in a color that will blend in behind ornaments. For the ornament pomanders shown, cream, gold, copper or silver paint would work. Allow paint to dry thoroughly.
2. Coat both sides of laurel leaves and branches with antique gold spray paint. Set aside to dry.
3. If hanging the ornament, securely glue the cap on the large plastic ornament with heavy-duty glue. Next, tie one end of a long piece of ribbon to the cap; this is how the finished pomander will be suspended. If it will be displayed on a stand, this step is unnecessary.
4. Glue ornaments to large plastic ball, working largest to smallest. For a sophisticated look, choose ornaments in a complementary color palette, or go bold and select ornaments in vibrant colors.
5. Trim branches to size, add a bit of hot glue to branch ends and insert in gaps between ornaments. When finished, display completed ornament cluster on a tall candlestand or suspend with ribbon. Tip: As an alternative to leaves, insert small bits of ribbon between ornaments.