Materials and Tools:
4" x 6" safety cut block
linocut carving tools
180 lb. printmaking paper — white
black oil-based relief printmaking ink
1/4" plate glass
piece of scrap paper
easel — optional
1. Using a photo for inspiration, draw the design onto a sketchpad.
2. Place tracing paper over the design and trace it onto tracing paper using a pencil.
3. To transfer the design onto the vinyl block, turn the tracing paper design over onto the vinyl and use your fingernail to transfer the design to the block.
4. Carve the vinyl block design with the linocut carving tools.
5. Tear the printmaking paper to size by placing a straight edge along the side of the paper and tearing the paper against the ruler. Tearing creates a deckled edge on all sides.
6. Make a registration sheet with a scrap paper and a pencil.
7. Ink the carved block with a brayer and oil-based black relief ink.
8. Place the inked block on the registration sheet. Place the printmaking paper on top of the block.
9. Rub the back of the paper carefully with the bowl of a metal spoon.
10. Lift the printmaking paper off the block. Let dry. Place the hand-pressed print on an easel.