Hand Carved Stamps and Card
Elizabeth Thummel creates hand carved stamps to use as a decorative accent on her cards.
Materials and Tools:
copyright free images
nail polish remover and cotton balls
linoleum block carving tools
rubber stamp inkpad
jar of water
foam-tipped applicator stick
furry decorative yarn
roll-on adhesive, paper glue, transparent tape, stick glue
1. Trace a design onto tracing paper with a soft lead pencil using copyright-free images or a freehand drawing.
2. Place the paper with the traced pattern face down onto the rubber block.
3. Apply nail polish remover to a cotton ball and rub the back side of the drawing so that it transfers onto the rubber block.
4. Carve out the pattern around the lines of the transferred design with carving tools. Glue the carved rubber onto a wood block. Let dry.
5. Ink the carved rubber with stamp pad ink. Stamp the image onto card stock.
6. Cut around the card stock to a chosen size to fit within the front of an average size card.
7. Using chalk for rubberstamping projects, rub a foam-tipped stick into a tan color of chalk. Gently rub the chalk onto the edges of the image outline for shading and dimension.
8. Using paper glue or double-sided tape, glue the furry decorative yarn along the edges of the stamped card piece, allowing the fibers to hang off away from the edge of the stamped piece. Set aside.
9. Cut a piece of rice paper as an embellishment slightly larger than the card stock with the stamped image. Apply water in an irregular shape around the edges with a paintbrush.
10. Tear away pieces of the rice paper where the water was applied.
11. Using a glue stick apply glue on the back of the rice paper and glue it onto the front of a blank card.
12. Make curly cues on each end of a length of craft wire.
13. Place the shaped wire on the back of the stamped card stock. Tape it in place with transparent tape.
14. Using double-stick tape on the back of the stamped card stock, place the card stock with the stamped image and wire over the rice paper and adhere it to the rice paper. Pull the wire curly cues over the top and bottom of the hand-carved stamped card stock.
How to Make Stamped, Brushless Watercolor Greeting Cards
Make unique handmade greeting cards using inked stamps for a watercolor effect without the brush.
How to Make a Personalized Place Card
Create your own personalized place cards by following these steps.
How to Make Collage Greeting Card Designs
Create two, simple collage greeting cards using decorative paper and rubber stamps.
Handmade Pop-Up Christmas Card
Surprise family and friends with an easy-to-create holiday card with a pop-up message tucked inside.
How to Make a Holiday Fold-Out Card
Paige Hill embellishes a holiday fold-out card with a silk poinsettia, a gold heart charm and more.
How to Make a Silk Screen Card Set
Design your own silk screen greeting cards using transparency film.
How to Carve a Two-Tone Block Print
Use this easy method for carving and printing your own block print designs.
How to Make a Bird and Branch Holiday Card
A pinecone adds texture and a sophisticated natural touch to this charming handmade holiday card.
Pop-up Birthday Card
Brandon Mise demonstrates his printing technique on this pop-up birthday card.
Peace On Earth Snow Globe Card
Create an easy to make holiday card with a snow globe on the front.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada