Hand-Carved Block Print
Judy Lynn carves a linoleum block design and uses it to print a beautiful piece of art.
Thanks to Judy Lynn of Decatur, Ga. for this project.
Materials and Tools:
soft printmaking block or linoleum
linoleum block cutter set
glass or surface to roll ink
scrap paper for proofs
paper or card stock for final printing
1. Sketch out design on tracing paper.
2. Flip tracing paper over, onto block, and transfer by rubbing back of design with pencil.
3. Carve out design with linoleum cutters.
4. Ink up brayer. Take sample proof of block on scrap paper.
5. Make any changes on block. Repeat steps as needed to complete design.
6. Choose final ink colors. Ink the block and print onto card stock or other chosen paper.
7. Add other details by hand.
8. Let dry and frame or display as desired.