Giving Furniture a Chic Rustic Look
Distressing outdated furniture give it antique charm with an Old World look.
Tools and Materials:
old coffee table
wiping stain – (we used Antique Cherry)
rags and a paintbrush
1. Find an old coffee table or any old piece of furniture you don’t mind beating up a bit. If it already has dents, nicks and marks, you’re well on your way to creating a completely different piece.
2. Get creative with your hand tools and mark up the piece by banging it with the hammer, scratching it with a screwdriver or denting it with a wrench. You may want to distress only the areas that would normally see a lot of wear and tear such as around the knobs or handles, along the edges and around the feet.
3. After beating on your piece of furniture, use a hand-held sander and smooth the top edges ever so slightly. Start sanding a little and step back to see if you like the look, if not, you can always sand more.
4. With the acetylene blowtorch, lightly run the flame over the table, back and forth so the flame doesn’t stop too long on any one area. Focus on the edges to advance the antiqued look. Go slowly so you don’t do too much.
5. Apply stain with a paint brush and immediately wipe off the excess with a rag. Work in small section, until you reach your desired finish. Let dry completely.
How to Build Floating Storage Shelves
Carter Oosterhouse uses extra wall space to add more storage to an entertainment center.
How to Build Rolling Pool Table Covers
See how to build rolling tables to fit over a standard billiard table. They will protect your billiard table and can serve as a buffet at your next party.
Build a Towel Ladder for Bathroom Storage
A mahogany bath ladder adds storage without taking up a lot of space.
Build a Bar-Height Dining Table
Learn how to construct an expandable, bar-height table with storage for a small dining area.
Build a Coffee Table to Fit Over Storage Ottomans
A custom coffee table with a marble inset is made to slide over a set of cushioned ottomans.
How to Build Bookshelves for a Recessed Nook
Carter Oosterhouse turns an empty niche above a closet into practical storage.
A Square Coffee Table That Turns into a Rectangle Bench
Learn how to make a mosaic-topped coffee table that serves a dual-purpose as a dining room bench.
Build an Outdoor Cedar Table with Recessed Planter
A patio table is made from cedar and has a rectangular planter sunken into the middle.
How to Build Open, Old-Style Kitchen Shelves
Open shelving in the kitchen is a great way to display antique dishware.
Build Tall Storage Shelves Step-By-Step
Carter Oosterhouse builds a wall of storage in a small dining room.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.