Fused Glass Flower Magnet
Materials and Tools:
glasscutter, running pliers and tile nips
white craft glue
Amazon green opaque fusible glass
opal-orange glass rod compatible with fusible glass
medium blue glass rod compatible with fusible glass
fiber paper or kiln wash for shelf
1/2" round magnet
glue for glass and metal
1. Cut a 1" x 1" square of Amazon green glass. This is called the blank.
2. Clean the green glass blank thoroughly with a wet cloth and dry with a lint-free cloth.
3. Cut five slices from the medium blue rod and one slice from the opal orange rod with tile nips.
4. Apply a small amount of glue to a piece of scrap paper. Pick up the opal orange slice with the tweezers, lightly touch it to the glue, and place it in the center of the green glass blank.
5. Glue the medium blue slices in a circular pattern around the orange center to represent flower petals. Allow the glue to dry for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the glass flower in the kiln, slowing raising the temperature over two hours until it reaches 1450-degrees.
- Let the glass soak at this temperature for 5-minutes.
- Over the next 45 minutes, lower the temperature in the kiln to 960-degrees and let the glass soak for 25 minutes.
- Then let the kiln cool to room temperature.
7. Remove the glass flower piece and clean thoroughly under running water. Dry with a lint-free cloth.
8. Apply a small amount of glass and metal glue to the back of the magnet. Press the magnet onto the back of the fused glass flower piece. Let dry for 72 hours.