Fall Wool Sweater Pillow
Convert an old sweater into a cozy new throw pillow.
By: Jo-Anna Rooney
- rectangle pillow insert (down or synthetic)
- corresponding thread
- 1 sheet of gold felt
- another material in a different color
- hot glue gun
- safety pin
Sew Pillow Seams
To make the pillow, use an old wool sweater for the fabric. Start with a rectangular down-filled pillow insert and fitted the sweater around it. Then cut the material to fit.
Tip: Leave one side uncut so you only have to sew three sides.
Sew the two longest sides first. Then, stuff in the pillow insert and sew up the remaining end.
Assemble Sunflower Embellishment
1. Cut out one 2-inch circle for the base of the flower.
2. Cut out 7 gold petals for the first layer of the flower.
3. Cut out 7 rust petals for the next layer.
4. Cut out seven 2-inch strips of gold felt for the next layer.
5. Cut out 5 smaller gold petals for the next layer.
6. Cut out 3 smaller rust petals for the next layer. To create the center, cut 2 strips of felt. They should be 4 x 1/4". Snip along one side to create fringe. Layer the strips then roll together to make a circle. Glue to the center of your flower.
See the full sunflower tutorial.
Make a Mini Pumpkin Wreath for Fall
Instead of making a wreath with bulky plastic gourds, try using putka pods, which are natural dried seed pods that look exactly like tiny pumpkins. This wreath makes an elegant fall statement that can be displayed year after year.
Natural Wheat Bundle Centerpiece
Here's an inexpensive take (under $10!) on a popular store bought fall centerpiece idea.
Sophisticated Embellished Fall Tablecloth
A plain white tablecloth is given a chic facelift with some lace, pleated trim and ribbon in warm fall colors. This low-sew project is great for seamstresses of all skill levels.
Easy-to-Craft Fall Leaf Centerpiece
Looking for an inexpensive, seasonal centerpiece that will last through the fall? All you need is some patterned scrapbook paper, twine, glitter spray and a few branches from your backyard.
How to Make a Rectangular Rustic Fall Wreath
This simple and sophisticated wreath brings a natural element to holiday decor. Its versatility allows you to hang it on a door or use it flat on a table as a centerpiece.
Fall-Inspired Linen and Felt Acorn Pillow
With basic sewing skills and just a few materials, you can create this cute fall acorn pillow that mixes fine linen with humble felt and jute twine.
Edible Fall Centerpiece
Pair ornamental kale with asparagus to create a stunning (and edible!) centerpiece for your fall get-together or Thanksgiving dinner.
How to Make a Magnolia Leaf Charger
Add a touch of natural sophistication to your Thanksgiving table with these easy-to-create magnolia leaf chargers.
Thanksgiving Place Card and Party Favor
How about a little pheasant to go with your turkey this Thanksgiving? These cute fellas are easy to make and act as both a place card and party favor your guests can take with them.
Metallic Copper, Gold and Silver Pumpkins
Give faux pumpkins a glamorous makeover with gold, silver and copper leaf. They'll add just the right amount of sparkle to a fall display or Thanksgiving centerpiece.
- Our 45 Favorite Fall Decorating Ideas
- 25 Thanksgiving Table Setting Ideas
- 31 Centerpieces You Can Make
- 25 Warm & Toasty Appetizers
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes & Sides
- 21 Cold Weather Cocktails
- 30 Irresistible Fall Desserts
- 10 Tips for a Simply Chic Thanksgiving
- Set Up a Turkey Day To-Go Station
- 20 Modern, Organic Table-Setting Ideas
- 21 Tips for Setting Up a Dessert Buffet
- Our Stars' Best Holiday Hosting Tips
- How to Set a Rustic Fall Table
- Set a Glamorous, Glittering Table
- Stress Less, Serve Buffet Style
- Host A Casual Thanksgiving Brunch
- Get Your Dining Room Ready to Party
- Set Up a Kid-Pleasing Snack Station
- Video: Tips From Our Pros
- Set Up a Kids' Thanksgiving Table
- 19 Turkey Day Kids' Crafts
- 15 Tips for Guest Bedrooms
- Host Weekend Guests Like a Pro
- 12 Guest Bathroom Prep Tips
- 8 Traditional Thanksgiving Decorating Ideas
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.