Fabric 'Takeout' Boxes
Materials and Tools:
sewing machine able to do zigzag stitch*
sewing machine needles: size 80/12, topstitching
cotton or polyester thread
scissors for thread and fabric cutting
rotary cutter and large rotary cutting mat
ironing protective sheet (June Tailor, 18" square)
iron and ironing board
1-1/2 yards of polyester cording, size 16
2 fat quarters of fabric
1/2 yard fast2fuse (or equal amounts of Timtex and Wonder Under)
WonderUnder fusible interfacing
*open embroidery foot for your machine
To Go Box
1. Cut pattern pieces from fast2fuse or Timtex.
2. Base: 2-1/4" x 3".
3. Sides: Cut a piece of stiff interfacing three inches across the bottom, 3-3/4 inches across the top, 3-1/4 inches high. Draw a vertical center line and measure half the bottom and top lines on each side of it.
4. Ends: Cut a piece of stiff interfacing 2-1/4 inches across the bottom, three inches across the top, 3-1/4 inches high. Draw a vertical center line and measure half the top and bottom lines on either side.
5. Flaps: Cut a 3-3/8-inch square for the end flaps. Draw a line from corner to corner across the square. Nip 1/2 inch off each corner with a line through it. Cut on the drawn line. The long side of the triangles should measure three inches — same as the top of the end pieces.
6. Cut a 3-5/8-inch square for the side flaps and draw a line from corner to corner. Nip 5/8 inch off each corner of with a line through it, and then cut on the drawn line. The long edge of the triangles should match the long edge of the side and end piece. Round the outside corners of the flaps as desired.
7. Sew sides and ends to the base with a long, wide zigzag stitch, holding the pieces gently apart as you sew so there is flexibility at the joints allowing the box to bend. Sew side and end flaps onto sides and end pieces the same way.
8. Cut a square of fabric 1/2 inch beyond the edges of the sewn interfacing.
9. Center the fast2fuse pieces on the square of fabric. Carefully turn both over, and iron the fabric to fuse it.
10. Cut four triangular pieces of WonderUnder and fuse them to the fabric between the fast2fuse pieces. Trim the fabric square along the outer edge of the fast2fuse. Remove the backing from the fusible web triangles.
11. Lay the second piece of fabric over the other side, fuse it on and trim the edges.
12. Cut out a small triangle on both sides of each flap so that when folded the edges are all even with the base of the flap.
13. Zigzag a length of cording, string, or #4 Speed-Cro-Sheen around the edge. Satin stitch once or twice around the edge.
14. Bring two sides of the box together and match the edges of the interfacing on one end. Pin. Iron a crease in the fused fabric. Fold and crease all the corners.
15. Mark a spot on the outside fold 1/2 inch in from the fold for the button. Mark another spot on the underneath fold about one inch away for ribbon placement. Add a button on one side of each end and the top, and a ribbon to the other side of each.
Fold in the lid side flaps. Fold in the lid end flaps over the side flaps. Wrapping the ribbon around the button will hold the box together.