Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
Project by Margaux Jones from Seattle, Wash.
Materials and Tools:
steel ornament *
acrylic clear-coat spray
* Note: Place the steel ornament in a vat of water a couple of days prior to starting this project.
1. Remove ornament from water and wipe clean, making sure it is thoroughly dry.
2. Using a gas torch, slowly fire ornament, making sure the metal does not get too hot (it turns a really ugly color). Once cool enough to touch, it's ready to be painted.
3. Using a palette or cup, mix the pigment powder with the polyurethane. A 2:1 ratio seems to work best.
4. Making sure not to cover anything that fired really nicely, lightly paint. For example, if the wings look really cool, just paint the head or tail. Do this on both sides, allowing the first side to dry before painting the second.
5. After both sides have dried, spray each side with a clear acrylic coating (allow dry time on the first side before doing the second).
6. String through some waxed black cotton and tie.