Design a Hand-painted Collaged Briefcase
Ever since Kay Hilde discovered a talent for painting and writing, she has consistently sought to pair the two passions. As a child, she was always one to make her own greeting cards for every holiday and special occasion. But in recent years, the most satisfying union of the set of skills has come when this outgoing mother of two spells out her witty thoughts on eye-catching, hand-painted purses and briefcases.
Materials and Tools:
rubbing alcohol and paper towel
acrylic paint, various colors
black permanent marker
1. Clean the briefcase with rubbing alcohol.
2. Draw a rough sketch of the design of the front, back, sides, bottom and top of the briefcase.
3. Squeeze out acrylic paints onto a paper plate and choose a brush.
4. Roughly paint the design on the front and decide on any layout changes. Let dry.
5. Cut out letters from magazines to form a desired phrase.
6. Apply a coat of varnish to the front of the case and place the letters on the varnish to attach them. Varnish the letters to seal them. Let dry.
7. Rip and cut colorful and bright magazine pages into swirls and other shapes for highlight accents for the front of the briefcase.
8. Apply the magazine highlights with varnish. Varnish the entire front design to seal it. Allow it to dry.
9. Accent the front design with a black permanent marker.
10. Apply a final coat of varnish over the entire front of the briefcase.
11. Repeat the steps for the back, sides and top.
12. Choose beads and charms for an accent piece to hang from the briefcase handle.
13. Lay out the beads and charms in a chosen arrangement.
14. String the beads and charms with wire and pliers and finish with the clasp.
15. Attach the beaded charm to the handle of the handpainted collaged briefcase.