Christmas Ornament Topiary
Create an inexpensive and simply chic candle holder to add a bit of Christmas cheer to your holiday table.
Materials and Tools:
7" decorative red pot
6" plastic foam ball
red spray paint
24 red glass Christmas balls with attached wire stem
smaller red and green balls with wire stems
red taper candle
hot glue gun and glue sticks
1. Spraypaint plastic foam ball red. Fill bottom two-thirds of pot with tightly crumpled newspaper, this will support painted ball. Hot glue plastic foam ball to newspaper base.
2. Using scissors, poke a hole a little smaller than the base of taper candle in center of plastic foam ball. Insert candle, if needed add a bit of hot glue to the hole before inserting candle to make sure it is secure and won't tip over.
3. Beginning at the bottom of the plastic foam ball, just above the pot rim, insert Christmas balls on pre-wired stems into plastic foam, further securing each ornament with a bit of hot glue. Tip: For this project, we used pre-wired glass Christmas balls; if these aren't available, simply remove the ring on the top of traditional ornaments and attach balls with hot glue only.
4. Continue adding glass balls to arrangement, working upwards toward candle, leaving as little room between ornaments as possible.
5. Fill in any gaps by attaching smaller red or green ornaments with hot glue.