Charles' Coconut Candles
Design on a Dime design coordinator Charles Burbridge details the steps for making coconut-shell candles.
Materials and Tools:
precut coconut shells
wick and wick holders
candle wax (approximately 1 lb. per candle)
melting pan and double boiler
silk floral elements
hot glue gun
1. Buy premade coconut shells coated with a flame-retardant coating from a craft or party store.
2. Melt the candle wax with a double broiler in a pan that is only for melting wax.
3. Using a candy thermometer as your gauge, bring the wax to the designated temperature that is appropriate for the variety of wax you purchased.
4. Add the coconut scented oil per the directions on the bottle.
5. Carefully pour the melted wax into the coconut shells.
6. Cut the wick into four-inch lengths and attach to the wick holders, crimping the end with the pliers.
7. Suspend the wick over the container using chopsticks, straws, lengths of coat hanger or whatever you happen to have laying around. This will keep the wick centered in the freshly poured candle.
8. Allow the wax to harden and then trim the wick so that only 1/4-inch remains.
9. Create a small floral spray using a silk orchid, bougainvillea and fern leaves gathered together with the floral wire.
10. Finish the candle by attaching the spray to the outside of the coconut shell using the hot glue gun.
3 Do-It-Yourself Candle Stacks
Craft a heart- and hamburger-shaped candle, or embellish tapers with sheets of colored wax.
How to Make a Cappuccino-Scented Candle
Make a coffee mug-themed candle with a cappuccino brulee scent with these simple steps.
How to Create a Snowy Candle Centerpiece
Create a simple, elegant and frosty candle centerpiece with champagne flutes, crystal garland and glass balls to illuminate your winter table.
How to Make Star Twig Candle Frames
Line a walkway for the holidays with this beautiful design.
How to Make an Acrylic Plastic Candle Screen
Try this original technique to create a decorative screen that softens the glow of your candles.
Coffee Bean Candle Centerpieces
These simple fall decorations will create a warm glow and amazing aromas for your home.
How to Make a Candle Chandelier
Hang up a "candolier" made out of pine wood and miscellaneous hardware.
How to Make a Hand-Painted Glass Candle Bowl
Make a glass candle bowl into a beautiful, stylish centerpiece with these simple steps.
How to Make Santa's Suit Votive Candles
The simple, graphic charm of these votives adds a cheery touch to mantles or table centerpieces. They would also be lovely holiday party favors, and they're easy enough for kids to do themselves. Follow these steps by Mary Lynn Maloney.
Phantom Floating Candles
Elegantly ghoulish, these floating candles and roses would make a great Halloween centerpiece.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.