Materials and Tools:
black twill cotton canvas
raw unprimed canvas
thread and needle
1. Prepare four purse pattern pieces:
- front top
- bottom front
- back pocket
- back of the purse
2. Cut out the front top part from hand painted fabric. Paint a larger canvas using the techniques described in the 3-D Funky Wall Hangings with swirls, squiggles, patterns, ribbed textures and lots of color.
Position the pattern piece on the portion of fabric that has the most design.
3. Cut the bottom front, back pocket and back out of black twill.
4. Sew the zipper to the top of the bottom front piece and the bottom of top front piece. Topstitch the piece to create a nice flat front and press.
5. To make the pocket, serge the top of back pocket piece. Topstitch the top on a regular sewing machine.
6. With right sides together place the back pocket on the front zipper piece. Place the back piece over the back pocket sandwiching the back pocket in between so that when it is turned right side out, the back pocket will be on the outside of the tote.
7. Serge around the tote, cutting, sewing, and binding the tote together at one time, sewing right through the zipper. Leave the top portion unsewn.
8. Place the black cording inside the canvas tote before sewing the top finished edge.
Place a toggle on the inside of the purse at the end of the cord.
8. The toggle creates an adjustable handle for a long sassy bag for evening, a short bag or even a fanny pack. Stitch the top.
9. Turn the bag right out and push out the four corners of the pocketbook.
10. Push the button on the toggle to release the cord. Let it go and it remains secure.