Build an Upholstered Storage Bench
Step-by-step instructions for creating a practical showpiece
Solve your storage needs with this sophisticated bench. Here’s how to build it:
Materials and Tools:
2 sheets of MDF
four 1-by-4-inch boards
five 1-by-6-inch boards
4 yards of red velvet fabric
buttons and button-making kit
4 bags of batting
4 pieces of foam (same dimensions as bookcase)
heavy-duty sewing needle
1. Assemble bookshelves according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add three 1-by-6’s to the back of the bookshelf and two stained 1-by-6’s to the inside for support.
2. Use a nail gun to secure the shelves inside the bookcase.
3. Cut four pieces of MDF to the length and width of the bookshelf. Two of the pieces will serve as the back piece for the wall. Cut the other two pieces in half to serve as the lids.
4. Upholster each piece of MDF with foam, batting and red velvet fabric using a staple gun.
5. Use a button-making kit to create matching red velvet buttons.
6. To add the tufting detail, drill holes in each spot where a button will go. Using upholstery thread and a heavy-duty sewing needle, secure the buttons to each piece by threading through the front to the back. Then wrap the thread around a screw and tighten into place to create the tuft.
7. Attach the lids to the bookshelves with hinges.
8. Screw the back piece into the wall, and frame it with stained 1-by-4’s.
5 Multifunctional Storage Furnishings You Need
Whether you have too little space, too much stuff or both, storage furnishings are a fantastic and affordable solution. Here are five essentials that work for just about any home.
Build a Wave-Shaped CD Rack
Carter Oosterhouse shares a project for building a decorative wall-mounted CD shelf.
How to Build a Convertible-Top Coffee Table
Learn how to build a coffee table with hidden storage and a four seperate tabletops that flip from flat to cushioned.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Hanging Room Divider
Separate a room with a colorful window room divider.
$100 Half-Day Designs: Update Fireplace and Bookshelves
Dress up your living room by creating a candlelit fireplace and decorative bookshelves.
Updating Your Home: Install Floating Shelves
These stylish shelves also add practical storage space.
Build an Entertainment Center in One Day
Carter builds a semi-recessed entertainment center for a family room.
Kitchen Island Tables
Add a simple table area to your kitchen island with these design tips.
Furniture Makeover: TV Armoire Turned Craft Cabinet
Shelves and cushioned display boards are added to the inside of an old armoire -- found at a flea market for $75 — to make it more functional.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.