Build a Wave-Shaped CD Rack
Carter Oosterhouse shares a project for building a decorative wall-mounted CD shelf.
If you can't find your favorite CD or simply have no good storage spot for a music collection, try building a CD rack that hangs from a wall. This wiggle board piece is both a functional rack and a creative, funky piece of wall art!
Materials and Tools:
3/4-inch formaldehyde-free MDF (medium density fiberboard)
3/8-inch wiggle board (also called bender board)
table saw or chop saw
1. It’s best to begin by drawing a sketch of the way you envision your CD rack, keeping in mind that you want it to look artistic but also functional. Cut the MDF to the desired size in a rectangular shape. Using formaldehyde-free MDF reduces harmful toxins.
2. Draw an outline of the wiggle board configuration on the MDF to mark the line for routing. The best way to do this is to measure the length of the wiggle board and MDF and mark the center points. Once you have the center points marked, cut a piece of twine equal to the length of the wiggle board. Lay the twine out in the desired shape and simply trace around the line. Starting with the center points keeps everything symmetrical since you can form the shape around the point. Remove the twine to reveal the design.
3. Before using any power tool, put on safety goggles. Set the depth of the router to 1/4-inch less than the depth of the frame board. For example, if using 3/4-inch wood, set the router depth to 1/2-inch and carefully route along the drawn line. Make sure that the width of the route line is no larger than the width of the wood.
4. When finished routing the line, lightly sand along the edges to remove any splinters.
5. Place a small amount of wood glue in the groove for added stability. Fit the wiggle board inside the groove, lightly hammering it in if necessary.
6. Add wood blocks to hold the CDs upright in place around the curves. Cut several blocks equal to the depth of the shelf and at least 4 inches tall. Place the blocks on the shelf in desired locations and temporarily secure with a bead of glue. Once the glue has set, place a few finish nails in the underside of the shelf to give them lasting support.
7. Next pick up the paint and a brush and begin painting in desired colors.
8. Once the paint is dry, the final step is affixing the CD rack to the wall. Apply picture hangers at each upper corner on the backside and mark spots on the wall to place a holder for the hanger. Because the rack is fairly heavy once it is loaded with CDs, use screws and molly bolts for extra security.
Build an Upholstered Storage Bench
Step-by-step instructions for creating a practical showpiece
Build a Contemporary Bookshelf
Add an instant update to a room with these step-by-step instructions.
Build Tall Storage Shelves Step-By-Step
Carter Oosterhouse builds a wall of storage in a small dining room.
How to Build Beach-Inspired Bamboo Wall Shelves
Carter Oosterhouse combines wavy-patterned acrylic panels with earth-friendly bamboo to create an exotic display shelf.
How To: Building an A-Frame Entertainment Center
Building an elegant A-frame entertainment center can be as easy as fitting notched lumber together like puzzle pieces. The result is a rustic yet dramatic focal point of any room.
DIY Kitchen Storage Shelf and Pot Rack
Turn inexpensive, easy-to-find materials into wall-mounted storage for a cabinet full of pots and pans, plus your favorite cookbooks and kitchen essentials.
How to Build Bookshelves for a Recessed Nook
Carter Oosterhouse turns an empty niche above a closet into practical storage.
How to Build a Convertible-Top Coffee Table
Learn how to build a coffee table with hidden storage and a four seperate tabletops that flip from flat to cushioned.
How To: Building A Recessed Home for Flat-Screen TV
Solve the problem of where to put the TV with a recessed niche.
Build an Entertainment Center in One Day
Carter builds a semi-recessed entertainment center for a family room.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada