Beachy Mosaic Seashell Box
Small pieces of shells can be used to make beautiful mosaics that'll help you remember your trip to the beach all year long.
By: Tammy Jones
Decorate the top of a paper mache box — or other item — with your beach vacation treasures. We chose broken cockle shell pieces in pretty sunset colors of rose, red, orange, rust and brown, as well as a few pieces of white and gray scallop shells and sand dollars.
Materials and Tools:
a box or other item to cover
Plaid Make-it Mosaics white sanded tile grout
pieces of shells
plastic knife or spatula
sponge or old rag
craft glue or other adhesive
1. Glue the shell pieces in place in whatever pattern you choose. Allow to dry completely. If using smoother or heavier materials, a stronger adhesive is better than craft glue.
2. When the glue is dry, mix white-sanded grout according to the instructions on the package and smooth it over the shells with a spatula, plastic knife or your fingers. Press the grout into all the cracks and crevices.
3. Allow the grout to dry about 15 minutes or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Use a damp sponge or towel to wipe the grout off, uncovering the shells but leaving grout between the pieces. Continue to rinse and wipe until the shells are clean and the grout is smooth between them.
5. Allow the grout to dry completely, overnight or as recommended in the package instructions. Buff the shells with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Wallpapering Made Simple
Get professional tips on wallpapering.
How to Make a Hand-Carved Stoneware Vase
Decorate and fire a piece of Asian-style pottery with these simple steps.
How to Remove Wallpaper
How do you remove the wallpaper without damaging the wall – or yourself? Use these tips to help you decide which option will work best.
How to Weave a Baby Bib
Stitch cotton bias tape to a favorite fabric to make a personal baby gift.
How to Make a Block Print Fabric Purse
Carve a linoleum block to decorate your fabric for this floral purse.
Caring for Leather Furniture
Get the most out of your leather furniture with these 5 maintenance tips.
How to Build a Bamboo Platform Bed
A custom bed is the focal point in a contemporary, Asian-style bedroom.
How to Paint a Kitchen Island
Bring customized style to your kitchen by painting the island a color that complements the room.
How to Install a Planked Wood Ceiling
Add architectural detail and rustic, farmhouse charm to a builder basic bedroom with a tongue-and-groove planked wood ceiling. This is also a great way to cover up dated, cottage cheese ceilings or a sloppy drywall job.
How to Make Black Metal Flower Jewelry
Put a modern twist on daisies with this sophisticated black metal jewelry set.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.