Beachy Mosaic Seashell Box
Small pieces of shells can be used to make beautiful mosaics that'll help you remember your trip to the beach all year long.
By: Tammy Jones
Decorate the top of a paper mache box — or other item — with your beach vacation treasures. We chose broken cockle shell pieces in pretty sunset colors of rose, red, orange, rust and brown, as well as a few pieces of white and gray scallop shells and sand dollars.
Materials and Tools:
a box or other item to cover
Plaid Make-it Mosaics white sanded tile grout
pieces of shells
plastic knife or spatula
sponge or old rag
craft glue or other adhesive
1. Glue the shell pieces in place in whatever pattern you choose. Allow to dry completely. If using smoother or heavier materials, a stronger adhesive is better than craft glue.
2. When the glue is dry, mix white-sanded grout according to the instructions on the package and smooth it over the shells with a spatula, plastic knife or your fingers. Press the grout into all the cracks and crevices.
3. Allow the grout to dry about 15 minutes or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Use a damp sponge or towel to wipe the grout off, uncovering the shells but leaving grout between the pieces. Continue to rinse and wipe until the shells are clean and the grout is smooth between them.
5. Allow the grout to dry completely, overnight or as recommended in the package instructions. Buff the shells with a soft cloth or paper towel.
Mosaic Garden Edging
This custom mosaic edging will liven up the garden.
How to Replace Moldy Grout
Step-by-step instructions for laying in a new coat without disturbing the tile.
Festive Seashell Beach Party Decorations
Use seashell souvenirs from previous beach vacations to decorate candles, glasses and appetizers at your next dinner party.
How to Build a Mosaic Light Box
Construct a wood box and cut mosaic pieces to create this Cow Jumping Over the Moon light.
How to Make a Modern Mosaic Tile Box
Create a modern, colorful clay tile mosaic pattern on top of a decorative box.
How to Make Mosaic Stained Glass Art
Make an easy stained glass art piece using colored glass, a glass cutter and grout.
How to Install a Marble Tile Backsplash
Boost your kitchen's wow factor in a three-day weekend by installing a timeless Carrara marble backsplash in an updated subway tile pattern.
How to Make a Tropical Mosaic Mirror
Make a tropical-themed mosaic mirror with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Make a Glass Mosaic Vase
Transform inexpensive art supplies into an elegant glass mosaic vase with these easy steps.
Paper Clay Tiled Box
Add a stylish and unique accessory to your home with this homemade jewelry box.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.