Basics of the Encaustic Monoprint Technique
Materials and Tools:
wax sticks (various colors)
brayers or rollers
natural bristle paintbrush
double stick tape
- Heat up the hot plate.
- Rub the wax sticks on the metal surface of the heat plate to melt them. Create a design on the plate with several colors.
- Lay a piece of rag paper face down on the painted design and cover with newspaper. Burnish with a brayer or roller.
- Carefully pull the paper away from the heat plate.
- Clean the heat plate with paper towels. Add more color to the heat plate and repeat the process to add patterns or more color to the print.
- Heat clear encaustic medium in a saucepan.
- Cut a house shape from decorative paper and place it on the front of the print. Brush with heated clear encaustic medium to attach. Add a butterfly cutout in the same manner or any desired designs.
- Mount the finished monoprint to cardstock with double stick tape for a unique card.