Auto Part Art Dog Sculpture
An engineer uses auto parts to sculpt a metal dog.
Project by Ric Scott from Pasadena, Calif.
Ric, an accomplished electrical engineer, was looking for an artistic outlet, and he found it in recycled auto parts. He admits he doesn't know how to use auto parts to fix a car, but he certainly has a knack for welding them into hip toy figures like his auto part dog.
collection of used auto parts
clear-coat spray paint
wire wheel grinder
1. Locate used parts from a junkyard, local mechanic, etc. Check pieces with a magnet to make sure they can be welded. Each piece must be magnetic.
2. Clean all parts with a biodegradable product.
3. Pre-assemble the dog to determine the layout of body parts. Figure out his position, stance, expression, etc.
4. Begin welding parts together. Starting with one foot, weld the metal slug to one of the leg bolts. Then weld three ball bearings to the slug. Add the back.
5. Repeat for other three legs. Weld legs to the backbone.
6. To make the head: If you want a springy head, weld a spring to the body. Add a collar at this point if you wish.
7. Weld the bottom rocker arm to the spring. Weld the tongue inside the rocker arm and then weld the top rocker arm.
8. Add cool ears. Add two small ball bearing for eyes.
9. Weld the small spring to the base of the back legs. You can also weld other cool additions to the spring for a more "happy" bouncing.
10. When welding is done, clean the dog with a wire wheel grinder. Be careful during this process! The force of the grinder can break the parts. Make sure to wear safety goggles too.
11. Add a clear coat of protective spray and allow to dry.
How to Make a Clay Garden Sphere
Create a unique piece of outdoor art with speckled stoneware clay and clay-carving tools
Mosaic and Foam Memory Quilt
Not a quilter? No problem! This memory quilt uses a foam base and mosaic tiles to create a quilt that's sewing free.
How to Make an Etched Ceramic Vase
Etch a creative design in a ceramic vase to match any style room.
How to Make a Sunflower Wall Hanging
Use wood and stained glass to create a sunflower wall hanging.
How to Make a Mosaic Stained Glass Portrait
Attach stained glass pieces to adhesive paper placed over a photo to create a mosaic glass portrait.
Paint a Funky Vase
Turn a clear glass vase into a canvas for your artistry.
How to Make a Coiled Ceramic Bottle
Create a one-of-a-kind bottle featuring a colorful block pattern.
How to Make a Ceramic Cactus Vase
Make a nature-inspired pottery vase using a gelatin mold.
How to Make a Primitive Platter
Meg Spielman Peldo makes a ceramic platter, breaks it, then reassembles it to create this work of art.
Ornate Travel Keepsake Box
Carolyn Madvig makes a practical, yet ornate, travel keepsake box.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.