A Modern Flat-Screen TV and Entertainment Center Solution
A family entertainmnet center goes from old-school to modern. The wall-mounted flat-screen TV and custom a/v cabinet help streamline the space and bring the entertainment system into the 21st century.
Steve Watson and his team help the Karp family by creating more storage space and, in this project, coming up with a creative approach for wall-mounting a flat-screen TV. Below is a summary of steps, as well as a list of tools and materials used as seen in this Don't Sweat It project.
Materials and Tools:
3/4" plywood (1 sheet)
Toilet Flanges (2)
Glass Door 24x25"
wood door 24x25"
electric miter saw
1. While taking into consideration the size of the TV and space on the wall, determine the optimum location for placement on the wall.
2. Using a stud-finder, find the studs in the wall and mark with a pencil. Drill out pilot holes and lag bolt the TV bracket to the studs. Attach the TV to the bracket.
3. Using PVC pipe and some elbows, create a pass-through in the wall for the wires. Cap each end with a toilet flange to leave a clean edge on the wall.
4. Steve built a custom unit, for placement below the TV, to contain and protect the audio/video components.
5. Attach glass doors to shield the components from the children but not from the infrared beam on the remote control. We will build the unit out of 3/4" Plywood and finish with Iron on edge banding to match.
Give Old Furnishings a New Purpose
With a bit of imagination, furniture and found objects can do double-duty in your home.
How to Make Twig Furniture
Add a country touch to any decor with this project.
Check out these tips for keeping your furniture environmentally-friendly by recycling, reclaiming and refinishing.
Make a Rustic Log Side Table
Construct a unique, natural side table from gnarled tree branches and logs.
How-to: Reupholstered Rocking Chair
Upcycle flea market finds to create exciting new pieces courtesy of the DIY experts at HGTV Magazine.
Build an Entertainment Center in One Day
Carter builds a semi-recessed entertainment center for a family room.
Seven Tips for Mattress Shopping
Our mattress holds a king-sized responsibility to deliver a good night's sleep. Here's how to buy the right one.
How to Build a Bamboo Platform Bed
A custom bed is the focal point in a contemporary, Asian-style bedroom.
20 Cleaning Tips for Beds and Mattresses
Whether heaped with pillows or minimally spare, keep beds, mattresses and bedding in top shape with these easy-care tips.
How To: Building A Recessed Home for Flat-Screen TV
Solve the problem of where to put the TV with a recessed niche.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.