Winter Grain Salad
- quick-cooking bulgur wheat (or substitute with farro or quinoa)
- chicken or vegetable broth (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons flat parsley, chopped
- 1 container (9 ounces) edamame peas
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped into thin ribbons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 squashes (we used zucchini and yellow squash)
Champagne Vinegar Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tablespoons champagne wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- cracked pepper to taste
1: Bring 1 cup bulgur to boil in 2 cups water. Cover at a simmer for 15 minutes. Use half water and half chicken or vegetable broth for extra flavor if desired.
2: Saute chopped garlic and shallot in skillet with olive oil for 5 minutes until just soft. Add in collard greens and saute for an additional 5 minutes until wilted.
3: Cut squash in half lengthwise, and place on a grill or bake at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes until just soft. Set aside.
4: Chop remaining vegetables into bite size pieces, and toss all herbs and ingredients together with dressing in a bowl. Serve cold or warm.
Note: You can make this a day or two ahead.