Vern Yip's Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
HGTV designer Vern Yip is a star in the kitchen, too. And he shared one of his favorite recipes for Saturday family breakfast with HGTV Magazine!
Vern says this recipe has evolved over the years, from lemon-flavored to pumpkin-flavored. And when his kids came along, chocolate chips became part of the mix too.
Time: 30 minutes | Makes: 20 3½-inch pancakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips, plus more for serving
- Cooking spray
- Maple syrup, for serving
David A. Land
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, ricotta, eggs and milk until smooth.
3. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, and stir until combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and heat it over medium-low heat. For each pancake, pour ¼ cup batter into the skillet. Cook until bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side, about 2 more minutes. Serve with maple syrup and extra chocolate chips sprinkled on top.
Plus! Check out Vern's new book!
The HGTV designer’s first book, Design Wise (Running Press, $27.50), is jam-packed with helpful decorating advice. He walks you through his own homes and shares tips like how to pick the right-size sofa, how low pendants should hang and pretty ways to arrange store-bought flowers.