Trisha Yearwood's Iced Sugar Cookies Recipe
This holiday cookie classic is from singer Trisha Yearwood's collection of home-cooking recipes.
Ingredients for Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for Icing
11-pound box confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1/3 cup warm water
food coloring (optional)
assorted sprinkles, colored sugar and small candy pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined. Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients, one spoonful at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add the vanilla.
4. Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
5. Roll out half of the dough at a time, keeping the remainder of the dough in the refrigerator.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut it into desired shapes with a cookie cutter.
7. Place the cutout cookies 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for a few minutes before baking. This will help the cookies retain their shape. (You can roll out the scraps to make a few more cookies.)
8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until just before the edges of the cookies start to brown.
9. Cool the cookies for 1 to 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
From: Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood: Stories and Recipes to Share with Family and Friends by Trisha Yearwood, with Glen Yearwood and Beth Yearwood Bernard
Reindeer Bubbles Cocktail Recipe
This colorful and fizzy champagne drink will delight all your holiday guests.
Jewel's Cherry Pie Recipe
For a simple dessert to serve this season, try this cherry pie and share a tradition with a singing star.
Trisha Yearwood's Cheese Straws Recipe
Satisfy your cheese craving with this easy appetizer made by singer Trisha Yearwood that's perfect for holiday entertaining.
Gift-Wrapping Ideas for a Country Holiday Theme
Designer Erinn Valencich helps singer Jewel incorporate natural elements into her family's country Christmas celebration.
Make Christmas Ornaments From Old Shirts
Recycled clothes lend a well-dressed touch to your holiday tree.
Make Glitter Glass Ball Ornaments
Designer Robin Baron shows how to dress up glass bulb ornaments with glitter for the holiday season.
How to Make Salt Dough Letterpress Ornaments
Designer Laurie March shows how to make easy, homemade salt dough letterpress ornaments for the holiday season.
How to Make Sea-Inspired Holiday Decor
Designer Sandra Espinet shows how to create sea-inspired decor that you can leave up all year round.
Holiday Food Gift: Hazelnut Hot Cocoa Recipe
Hot cocoa warms even the chilliest of days. Share the warmth this holiday season by packaging ingredients for delectable hazelnut hot cocoa into a canning jar and handing them out as sweet gifts.
Un Dia en el Paraiso Cocktail
You and that special someone will feel like you're enjoying a day in paradise while sipping this tropical nectar of love.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.