Trisha Yearwood's Cheese Straws Recipe
Satisfy your cheese craving with this easy appetizer made by singer Trisha Yearwood that's perfect for holiday entertaining.
3 (10--ounce) bricks sharp cheddar cheese, at room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 cups all--purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
dash garlic powder
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Put the softened cheese and butter in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer. Using the heaviest mixer attachment, beat the cheese and butter until the mixture has the consistency of whipped cream, about 30 minutes.
3. On a sheet of waxed paper, sift three cups of the flour with the salt, black pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. Gradually add the seasoned flour to the cheese mixture by large spoonfuls, beating well after each addition. Add the unseasoned flour until the dough is somewhat stiff but still soft enough to be pushed through a cookie press; you may not need to add all of the flour.
4. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Put a portion of the dough into a cookie press fitted with the star tube and press the dough onto the cookie sheet in long strips that run the length of the pan. Note: If you don't have a cookie press, form the dough into 1-inch balls and flatten them with a fork.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. The cheese straws should be golden brown and crisp. With a sharp knife, cut the long strips into 3-inch lengths. Use a flat, thin spatula or egg turner to remove the cheese straws from the pan. Allow them to cool on a wire rack. When they are completely cool, store in a tightly covered container.
Yield: 4 dozen
From: Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours by Trisha Yearwood
Trisha Yearwood's Iced Sugar Cookies Recipe
This holiday cookie classic is from singer Trisha Yearwood's collection of home-cooking recipes.
Reindeer Bubbles Cocktail Recipe
This colorful and fizzy champagne drink will delight all your holiday guests.
Jewel's Cherry Pie Recipe
For a simple dessert to serve this season, try this cherry pie and share a tradition with a singing star.
Make Christmas Ornaments From Old Shirts
Recycled clothes lend a well-dressed touch to your holiday tree.
Gift-Wrapping Ideas for a Country Holiday Theme
Designer Erinn Valencich helps singer Jewel incorporate natural elements into her family's country Christmas celebration.
Make Glitter Glass Ball Ornaments
Designer Robin Baron shows how to dress up glass bulb ornaments with glitter for the holiday season.
How to Make Sea-Inspired Holiday Decor
Designer Sandra Espinet shows how to create sea-inspired decor that you can leave up all year round.
How to Make Salt Dough Letterpress Ornaments
Designer Laurie March shows how to make easy, homemade salt dough letterpress ornaments for the holiday season.
Halloween Party Food: Potato Beetles Recipe
Crowd-pleasing fingerling potatoes, wild rice and creme fraiche combine to create a spooky Halloween snack that looks as though it could crawl right off the platter.
Beef Crostini With Red Pepper Mayonnaise
Add a slice of interest to beef crostini with red pepper.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.