Throw a Theme Party
Check out these tips from our entertaining expert to make your party extra special and extra memorable.
Entertaining expert Dana Christine shares great ideas for throwing theme parties to celebrate special occasions. Select an occasion for your party - birthday, anniversaries, graduation, engagement or even a religious celebration.
Select a theme and decorations such as western, tropical, sports or other ideas. Try to get napkins, place cards, balloons and other decorations that correlate with the theme. Create a guest list, send invitations and decide what type of food is appropriate for the occasion.
- Decorate with leis, mini palms tree, coconuts and tropical colors.
- Drill holes in fresh coconuts, insert straws and serve guests fresh coconut milk.
- Plan to do a Polynesian cookout featuring ham, pineapple and mahi-mahi.
- Have a sand pail filled with leis at the door so that when your guests arrive, they can put one on.
- Use key chains with little sandals attached as place cards.
- Line the buffet with a grass skirt.
- Pick your time period - '30s gangsters, '40s swing, '50s rock-and-roll, '60s hippie or '70s disco.
- For a '50s theme, set out condiments in classic diner-type squeeze bottles, and chromed napkin dispensers. Or serve old-fashioned cocktails and martinis for a Roaring '20s theme.
- Stick with the diner theme for the menu. Serve cheeseburgers, fries and shakes for the '50s theme or fondue for the '70s theme.
- Cut out cardboard stars with black and gold ribbon and scatter them over the table.
- Have children and their friends act like paparazzi, using single-flash cameras. When guests arrive, they'll feel like real movie stars.
- Place televisions throughout the home so your guests don't miss a thing.
- Cut out decorative gold statues with cardboard or foam board.
- Hand out ballots to your guests and make a game of guessing the winners. Whoever guesses the highest number of wins gets free movie passes.
Throw a Smart Graduation Party
Study up on some creative ideas for hosting a graduation party.
How to Host an Exchange Party
An exchange party is a fun and easy way to host a party with the minimum of shopping, expense, baking and dishes to clean.
Tips for Hosting Fun Parties
Here are 9 tips for hosting a party both you and your guests will enjoy.
Eating Healthy at a Party
Here's how to make healthy choices at the buffet table.
Birthday Parties: Season by Season
Throw a party for your child with themes tied to the time of year.
How to Throw a Holiday Cookie Party
Here's some advice from HGTV regular Sharon Anderson and Theresa Henn on how to throw a holiday cookie exchange party.
Halloween Party Food: Potato Beetles Recipe
Crowd-pleasing fingerling potatoes, wild rice and creme fraiche combine to create a spooky Halloween snack that looks as though it could crawl right off the platter.
Brighten Parties With Cupcake Candles
These birthday candles are a tasty sight, but try not to eat them.
HGTV Magazine Super Bowl Party Printouts
Host a unique Super Bowl party with fun stickers, pennants, and signs exclusively from HGTV Magazine. Be mindful of the printing and paper instructions for each.
Halloween Party Favor: Make a Treat Cone
Delight trick-or-treaters or Halloween party guests with this easy-to-create card stock cone filled with candy, small toys or trinkets.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada