Sweet Potato-Pear Soup Recipe
Serve this flavorful soup in glasses, and set up a soup shooters bar for holiday guests to add their own toppings.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded (set seeds aside) and diced
1 cup pear, peeled and diced
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk (or less for a thicker soup)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
ground white pepper to taste
garnishes - shredded coconut, roasted squash seeds, paprika, crumbled bacon and rosemary
1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onion, butternut squash, pears and sweet potatoes. Add a little Kosher salt and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft.
2. Add broth, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are really soft.
3. Puree the soup in batches in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a clean Dutch oven. Add coconut milk (shake well before opening can), Kosher salt, ginger and white pepper.
4. Keep soup on low heat to allow all flavors to infuse together. Serve in glasses as shooters.
5. To make roasted seeds, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place seeds in a small bowl and coat with olive oil and salt. Roast in oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.