Spinach and Goat Cheese Frittata
Yield: 6 servings
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup scallions, sliced diagonally
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups fresh spinach
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk or cream
freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup roasted red bell pepper strips from jar, drained
1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat broiler and place the top rack of the oven 4 to 5 inches from broiler.
2. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add scallions and saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
4. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more, then add spinach.
5. Season with a pinch of salt and a couple grinds of pepper, and cook for a few minutes until the spinach wilts.
6. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, a pinch of salt and a couple grinds of pepper until the eggs are frothy.
8. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the cast-iron skillet, then add the egg mixture to the pan.
9. Cook, lifting with a rubber spatula to let the eggs flow underneath, until the edges are set, about 3 minutes.
10. Evenly distribute the spinach and scallion mixture over the top of the egg mixture, then sprinkle the red bell pepper and crumble the goat cheese evenly over the top.
11. Place skillet under the broiler until the eggs are slightly puffed and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully.
12. Remove from the oven and garnish with flat-leaf parsley.
13. Serve straight from the skillet, or use a spatula to gently loosen the frittata from the pan and slide out onto a serving platter.
14. Cut into wedges, and serve hot or at room temperature.