Spiked S'mores Pie Recipe
Bourbon gives this pie its boozy flavor, but feel free to leave it out since it doesn't change the consistency of the set ganache.
Yield: one 9-inch pie
1 1/4 cup graham-cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream
18 oz. semisweet chocolate, evenly chopped into fine pieces (or chocolate chips)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bourbon
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme
2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 chocolate bar for garnish
1 whole graham cracker for garnish
1. Whisk together crumbs, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir until mixture resembles wet sand. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan or springform pan. Set aside.
2. Heat the heavy cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until very hot but not boiling. You may also heat the cream in a heatproof bowl in the microwave at one-minute intervals.
3. Remove cream from heat source and pour in the chocolate. Let stand for 3 minutes. Whisk until chocolate has melted and mixture is completely smooth. Whisk in bourbon. Pour mixture over the graham-cracker crust and refrigerate several hours until set (or store in the freezer for quicker setting time).
4. Beat egg whites, vanilla and salt at high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Beat in one-fourth of the marshmallow creme. Repeat with remaining creme until meringue is well mixed and fluffy. Fold in mini marshmallows with a rubber spatula.
6. Heap meringue in the middle of the pie and swirl with the back of a spoon or spatula. Brown with a kitchen torch. You may also brown in the oven on the broil setting, but keep a close eye on it so the meringue does not burn.
7. Keep refrigerated. Garnish with a chocolate bar and whole graham cracker. Bring slices to room temperature before serving.