Snack Bar Madness Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chewy cookies are endlessly customizable to suit your mood. Add any combination of nuts, candy or dried fruit. The potato chips add a salty finish that really works for those who love the sweet and salty combination.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened, 1/2 pound
- 1/2 cup lightly firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup lightly crushed thick-slice potato chips
- Up to 1 cup total of any or all of your favorite stir-ins: chopped walnuts, pecans, peanuts, candy-coated chocolate or peanut butter candy, such as mini M&M's or Reese's pieces, dried cranberries or cherries, white chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or toffee bits
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy on medium speed in another bowl. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
At a low speed, add the flour mixture in batches until just blended. (Be careful not to overbeat or the dough will toughen.) Stir in chocolate chips and your choice of stir-ins with a wooden spoon until well-combined. Chill the dough 30 minutes or overnight.
Shape or scoop using an ice cream scoop into 2-inch balls spaced about 3 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets, about 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool.
Total time: 13 hours
Yield: about 20 cookies