Sabrina Soto's Coffee Cake Muffins
The Latin twist in these coffee cake muffins is a nod to my heritage. They’re my favorite morning treat.Sabrina Soto
My secret is cuban coffee. It adds a yummy jolt of flavor and makes the muffins smell great.Sabrina Soto
For the streusel:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons Cafe Bustelo
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
For the muffins:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Cfe Bustelo instant coffee
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons water of milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and line muffin tins with 18 paper baking cups.
2. Make the streusel: Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter, and instant coffee in a medium bowl. Using your fingers or a fork, work the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Stir in walnuts until evenly distributed; set aside.
3. Make the muffins: Whisk the flour, instant coffee, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl; set aside.
4. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer until fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well, then beat in the vegetable oil and sour cream until combined. Add the muffin flour mixture, and beat until just incorporated.
5. Divide the batter among the prepared baking cups, filling each one about halfway. Add 1 tablespoon streusel to each, then cover with the remaining muffin batter. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining streusel. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool completely.
6. Make the glaze: Whisk confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Add water or milk and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins and let sit for at least 1 hour to set.
7. Place each muffin in a cupcake wrapper before serving.