Pumpkin Shooter Recipe
Yield: 20 soup shooters, 2 ounces each
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 red apple, peeled and diced
5 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
2 cups fresh pumpkin, roasted and diced (or pumpkin puree)
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepot, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced carrot and cook until soft.
2. Add onion, bacon and apple. Cook until mixture is soft and translucent.
3. Add pumpkin and spices. Stir frequently for 5 minutes to marry flavors.
4. Add chicken stock.
5. Place soup in blender or use immersion blender in the saucepot to puree soup until smooth.
6. Gradually add cream and seasoning until desired taste is achieved.
7. Serve hot with pumpkin seed garnish.
The soup can be refrigerated for 2 days or frozen for 3 months.
To make the recipe vegan, use olive oil instead of butter, coconut milk instead of cream, vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and omit the bacon.
If the soup is too thick, add more chicken or vegetable stock. If the soup is too thin, let it cook longer before seasoning to reduce.
If the soup can't take more salt, but needs more flavor, try adding a dash of lemon juice or white wine vinegar.