Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza Hand Pies
These hearty hand pies make a great easy-to-eat appetizer for any occasion.
8 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
1 cup butter, cut into chunks
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup cubed mozzarella
1/4 cup cubed pepperoni
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon milk
1. In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, butter, flour and sea salt. Pulse until the mixture comes together into a dough. Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Once the dough has chilled, remove from the plastic wrap and roll out on a floured surface until the dough is a little less than 1/4 of an inch thick.
3. Using a large cookie cutter, about 5 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough. You can roll out the excess dough and repeat this process until you've used all of the dough.
4. In the center of each circle, add 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce, 2 teaspoons of mozzarella and 2 teaspoons of pepperoni. Sprinkle with oregano.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk to make the egg wash. Egg-wash the edges of the circle and fold over to close the hand pie. Seal the edges closed using your thumb.
6. Place the hand pies on a piece of parchment paper and brush the egg-wash mixture over the tops. Cut a thin slice into the top of each hand pie as a vent.
7. Bake the hand pies for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown and the crust appears flaky. Remove from oven and serve immediately with a side of pizza sauce if desired.