Nacho-Stuffed Potato Skins
These hearty skins are a great appetizer for a summer cookout or Fourth of July party.
6 russet potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
6 strips applewood-smoked bacon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup refried beans
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chipotle guacamole
1 cup salsa
chopped scallions and sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle the whole potatoes with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
2. While the potatoes are baking, cook 6 bacon strips until crispy and then set aside to cool. Once cooled, roughly chop the bacon.
3. Remove potatoes from oven and let them cool until they are cool enough to handle. Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise, and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch of the potato remaining.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Place the cut potatoes back onto the baking sheet, flesh-side up. Lightly drizzle the tops with a few more teaspoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Place them back into the oven for about 10 minutes. Flip them onto their other side and bake for another 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
5. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet, cut side up. Spoon equal amounts of refried beans into each potato, followed by equal parts bacon and shredded cheese. Place the potato skins back into the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
6. Take the potatoes out of the oven and top them with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, scallions, chives and any other toppings you like. Serve immediately.