Nacho-Stuffed Potato Skins
These hearty skins are a great appetizer for a summer cookout or Fourth of July party.
By: Gaby Dalkin
6 russet potatoes, scrubbed and pricked with a fork
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
6 strips applewood-smoked bacon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup refried beans
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chipotle guacamole
1 cup salsa
chopped scallions and sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle the whole potatoes with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 60 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
2. While the potatoes are baking, cook 6 bacon strips until crispy and then set aside to cool. Once cooled, roughly chop the bacon.
3. Remove potatoes from oven and let them cool until they are cool enough to handle. Cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise, and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch of the potato remaining.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Place the cut potatoes back onto the baking sheet, flesh-side up. Lightly drizzle the tops with a few more teaspoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Place them back into the oven for about 10 minutes. Flip them onto their other side and bake for another 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
5. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet, cut side up. Spoon equal amounts of refried beans into each potato, followed by equal parts bacon and shredded cheese. Place the potato skins back into the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
6. Take the potatoes out of the oven and top them with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, scallions, chives and any other toppings you like. Serve immediately.
Grilled Cumin Shrimp and Avocado Gazpacho
Nothing will cool you down this summer quite like this refreshing gazpacho appetizer topped with spicy grilled shrimp.
Chile and Lime Roasted Cashews Recipe
Lime juice and chile pepper give these roasted nuts a flavorful kick. Serve them at your next cookout or small get-together.
Heirloom Tomato and Burrata Crostinis Recipe
Burrata cheese and juicy heirloom tomatoes combine to create a delicious appetizer great for any gathering, large or small.
Grilled Fruit Skewers Recipe
Paired with ricotta and yogurt dips, these grilled fruit skewers will have your barbecue guests pleased at first bite.
Spiked S'mores Pie Recipe
Bourbon gives this pie its boozy flavor, but feel free to leave it out since it doesn't change the consistency of the set ganache.
Frozen Clementine Sorbet Recipe
Use the peel of the fruit as a bowl to serve this tasty and cool sorbet.
Blue Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Blue velvet cake is a fun twist on the traditional red velvet flavor. A touch of violet food coloring is the secret ingredient for making these cakes the perfect blue hue.
Bacon Beef Burgers Recipe
This grilling favorite is made with half beef and half ground bacon for a delicious summertime flavor.
Grilled Mexican Corn Recipe
Topped with spices, lime and Cotija cheese, this recipe will give a little extra flavor to the traditional grilled corn on the cob.
Pie Pops Recipe
Make these bite-sized treats for your next outdoor party.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada